Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 1998 Vectra 2.0TD with what i believe to be an ecotec engine, car has been running fine for last 10 months then all of a sudden the ECU light has come on, and it seems to judder at low revs, 2/2.5k, then makes a "whooshing" sound as i accelerate through the juddering, just feels gutless now and won't seem to go far past 50mph. I have tried the Paper Clip test, but i found that it doesnt work on diesels. :cry: I replaced the MAF as this seems to be a common problem but it's still doing the same. Anyone else got any ideas before i take it to VX to get ripped off £80 just to find out what codes are wrong...?

Thanks

John2k6

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check for any leaks in the induction system after the turbo. IE Split pipes, damaged O rings, loose jubilee clips, fractured intercooler.
If all the boost that the turbo creates is able to escape to atmosphere then the car will run badly and can create a wooshing sound in conjunction with a warning light.
Mine did exactly that when it blew the inlet hose off the manifold once (remembered to tighten it after working on the car ever since!)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the speedy replies,

MisterT, i have checked the vacuum pipes and everything seems to be in order, only way i could think of looking for leaks was to spray the pipes with WD40 and look for air bubbles when revving, didn't see any so im assuming that the pipes are all ok, unless anyone knows a better way of checking? :rolleyes:

121NCH, haven't really got time to check the induction system tonight as i don't know exactly what i'm looking for... but the explanation of losing all the boost into the atmosphere seems about right. I'll check it out tomorrow and post back my findings.

Thanks again, and any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

John2k6

Edit: Just found out that after replacing the MAF, i now get grey/black smoke coming from the exhaust when the car judders ate 2/2.5k, getting really worried now... any ideas?

Thanks again

·
Registered
20 Posts
Find the turbo ( I REALLY hope you know where that is!) You need to look at the compressor side of the turbo (the clean side not the rusty side) It joins a nice shiny pipe that runs across the top of the engine. There is an O ring in that joint and a cheap and nasty clamp holding it all together. Make sure the O ring is not damaged (undo the clamp and look at it) before tightening the clamp back up. Check the other end of the pipe wher it turns into a rubber hose. Check the rubber hose that goes to the intercooler. You're looking for loose joints, chafing, splits and anything else that will allow it to leak. Check the intercooler as far as you can. Check the hose from the intercooler to the inlet manifold. Check particularly where the hose joins the manifold. It should be secure and not move when you waggle it. If its not secure, open the jubilee clip a bit, push the hose right onto the manifold and re-tighten it. This inspection should take about 10 mins max!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.