Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Less talk, more action
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening....

Bear with me guys.... my head is mince and I've been mulling this over for so long its all just got really confusing and well, now I don't know what the hell to do. So, I turn to you guys in exchange for some beers at Biling.

As you may or may not know.... the turbo died recently, well... ok its on life suppirt as we speak but the short of it is I've detontated number 2 piston completely, and the bore is marked and number 3 is showing evidence of going the same route but the bore appears fine. Numbers 1 and 4 pistons and bores seem fine.

Now... its rebuild time, and I have a few options.

Firstly and regardless of any furture plans.... Im going to remove the damaged pistons and try honing the bores.... Im hoping this may be enough to salvage the block, in which case I'll source 2nd hand pistons and rebuild it in the car.

However, Im not a lucky man....

So, assuming this doesn't work and the bore is too badly damaged I need to decide on the best option to get a functional LET once again.

1. XE/XEV Bottom End
For this, I'd need to source an XE/XEV bottom end which is easy enough.... I'd strip it, and refit it with four LET pistons (My 2 good ones and two 2nd hand) and repalce bearings etc as required. I'd need to drill and tap an oil return to the block for the turbo but again, this shouldnt be too hard.

2. Complete LET
There's a lad selling a standard LET bottom end, and also one with oversized pistons. This would be the easiest option... however it would necessitate a run to England, or postage and there no way of checking the state of the crank etc. Even if I did this, I'd be rebuilding them bottom end to be on the safe side....

My worries are that a complete second hand LET block is a gamble.... paying £200+ for something that may need alot of work... added to the time to get it/post it and well, maybe using an XE bottom end would be the quicker option?

Basically lads, Im stuck on what to do.... What would you do in this case? And anybody ever done stuff like this before and could offer any tips and advice....

Oh and I'm on a budget so not dreamers!

Ta in advance :shame:

·
Registered
82 Posts
id use an xev, not worth paying so much for what is basically the same thing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
But by the time he sourced it (could be in England as well) and payed for it and bought pistons, bearings, got it drilled, tapped etc he'd of prob spent the same if not more! At least the LET is already there to go complete with pistons so he'd have spares for the next time it blew up!

·
Registered
395 Posts
PaulT said:
But by the time he sourced it (could be in England as well) and payed for it and bought pistons, bearings, got it drilled, tapped etc he'd of prob spent the same if not more! At least the LET is already there to go complete with pistons so he'd have spares for the next time it blew up!
Your a chearful one aint you!

You should be able to pick up an XEV bottom end for next to nothing, having the block tapped and drilled shouldnt cost more than 20-30 quid.
Thats prob the route i'd take then either get a couple of 2nd hand pistons like you say.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Rip Van Winkle said:
Your a chearful one aint you!
:lmao:

Ye, definately past my bed time.

I suppose it depends on how much this LET is going for. Could be cheaper in the long run and a lot less hassle.

·
AKA Cavgsi4x4turbo
5,260 Posts
i would personally allways try and keep to the right stuff for the job. so if at all possible i try and keep let stuff let and xe stuff xe etc so my first route would be to get yours stripped. then you know for sure whats happening with your engine. then id try and get a let block with pistons. then id strip that block and fit new rings(better safe than sorry) id then fit your bottom end knowing yours is ok(i presume) then rebuild your engine on that. that way you have spare if you need them but also you have made the best of what you have. did that make sence? lol

·
Less talk, more action
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im confused guys.....

Been advised against relining the dmaged bore as they are notoriously unreliable and can be very dear to get done.

Reboring my block was an idea, but I can only go 0.5mm bigger or else I'd need to source after market pistons.... and these are very very expensive.

Last resort was to use an XE bottom end, but fit four new LET pistons.... but I've been told that this may not work as the block will be worn.

To be honest, Im now totally confused and unbelievably.... getting really fed up and upset about this

I just need somebody to say "right, this is what you need to do...."

·
Registered
13 Posts
well mate after reading your post i would go with the xe block,iv just done the same as i couldnt get a let block i got a xe block and had it drilled for the oil return and it cost me 20 quid.......running let piston and crank but with new rings and new crank shells and just ran it all it done 2000 miles and it has missed a beat at all,after all the block is the same......now the big turbo is going on then its going the rolling road and we are looking for 350 bhp then noz aswell......take a look at my web site www.megavaux.net

·
Less talk, more action
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Know what..... the last two posts, hope you guys are going to Biling this year coz theres a few beers with your names on them. Finally somebody has cut the **** and said it in plain English.... so thank you lads, I can now go and get the bits I need and get this fooker back on the road.

I suspected this was the case, then folk started one about having to rebore the XE due to wear and runouts and all that stuff. Im not running huge power, I just need this on the road but very few people understand that money doesnt grow on trees.... yes I'd like knife edge crank, titanium this and carbon that with Forge this yadda yadda but some of us arent decended from royality.

Will check the site mate, but anything I should be watching out for or doing???

·
Whatever!!!!!!
6,482 Posts
Dave as i said, get yaself an XE and go down that route ;)

I'm on the look out for Pistons and sheeet ;)

·
AKA Cavgsi4x4turbo
5,260 Posts
Turbodave said:
Right..... next question: Anybody got....

1. An XE block
2. A couple of LET pistons

Ta!!
im breaking a xe lump but dunno how i could get the block up! im strippin my spare let lump this week do you want me to weigh the block so you can get a postage weight?:Cool2:

·
AKA Cavgsi4x4turbo
5,260 Posts
Turbodave said:
Yep, if you can find out..... but LET block eh? I'm listening.... fancy selling a couple of pistons, or even the whole bottom end?
sorry no! i have a complete spare let engine in bits because me and the other half bothhave turbos and im rebuidin the spare engine to put inb one of the turbos and then thespare engine is gonnabebuilt with uprated pistons etc but not till next year probally:Cool2:

·
Less talk, more action
2,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No probs.... I think I've sourced pistons (two good ones from yet another melted LET) but question: Are they all the same, ie I have 1 and 4 from mine.... so do I need 2 and 3 from the other engine or can I mix and match. I'd hone the bores of the XE block, and use new rings but just in case....

Help again, please!!! !

1 - 20 of 29 Posts