Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a problem with a plate (the one the ABS lead is fastened to) being stuck to the rear wheel bearing+hub assembly. The way its mounted is clamped btw the bearing assy and the carrier structure on the car itself. Its not supposed to be fastened to the bearing assy, but is rusted in place just like a brake disc is sometimes rusted stuck to the hub.

I cant think of a good way to get this off, ive tried driving in a flat screwdriver btw them with a hammer, no luck, and tried spraying it down with wd40. I might get it loose by beating it with a hammer but i dont know and rather not destroy the existing bearing completely before i have a way to get the new one installed (if i only had another plate like this id bin the whole thing) (im swapping brake discs too)

Any ideas very much appreciated!!

a few pictures on google drive

·
Worn Out Member
5,131 Posts
You need a good penetrating oil or homemade mix of diesel/paraffin/oil to try and release it,
(fully immerse it if possible)
wd40 isn't a penetrating oil and is not much good at this sort of thing,once it's had time to soak then a heavy duty scraper is the sort of thing to try and hammer between the two parts to separate them.
I'm sure there will be other options but that's my way of doing it.

·
11,771 Posts
That mounting plate is bolted on mine and I had to drill one side out, retap it and used a larger bolt. Can you not just grind the remnants off to release it.

·
11,771 Posts
The Greek God Brutus Forcus made an appearance then. (y)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With good help from a great (and 80y old) neighbour i got it off nice and clean using a large puller, ill try to post some pictures!

Thanks for all suggestions from everyone! You are the best !
Walter

1 - 7 of 7 Posts