Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

The Engine light is on my '02 1.8 SXi, tried pedal test but it didn't do anything.

Depressed Accelerator and brake pedal simultaniously, switched ignition to second position.

Nothing happened different to when ignition is turned on, it did a self check then nothing else.
Any help appreciated, gonna get it check on a mates fault reader it's just finding the time to do it, was hoping pedal test would give me some answers in the mean time.

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
There are 2 methods to doing the pedal trick.
Method 1

1. Press and hold the brake and accelerator pedals to the limit of their respective travels
2. Turn on ignition to position 2
3. The engine symbol on the dash will then begin to blink
4. Continue as below step 8

Method 2

1. Press and hold the brake and accelerator pedals to the limit of their respective travels
2. Turn ignition key to Position 2, ie dash lights on
3. Release accelerator pedal
4. Re-depress accelerator pedal to the floor
5. Turn off ignition
6. Turn on ignition to position 2
7. The engine symbol on the dash will then begin to blink
8. There will be a sequence of flashes, separated by small pauses between numbers and a longer pause between separate fault codes.
9. The number of flashes needs to be counted and thus the 4 digit fault code can be determined.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's spot on mate, tried it this morning and came up with 2 codes
P0170 and P1130
P1130 is Lambda sensor signal fault so I think a new sensor is in order and P0170 is mixture rich/lean, hoping new sensor will cure the mixture fault, does this sound about right from peoples previous experience?

Also are the lambda sensors plug and play so I can fit it and erase the fault memory or do they need to be coded?

Cheers Guys

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
Yes the 0170 is very common and as you rightly say it means the mixture is too rich or lean for the trim function to compensate, Also check for air leaks in the inlet trunking and exhaust before the lambda sensor.

·
Premium Member
Astra K 1.4t (150) auto SRI NAV
17,097 Posts
Fire,
Hadn't realised there were two methods to the pedal test. Though the codes are displayed where mileage would normally be on the H. Where as the G, dash symbol must blink the relevant codes.
Do you know if the pedal test would work on a corsa C or a TigB?

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
Hah good question you have to try it, SOME ECU's appear to have an issue with self diagnosis so I cannot say it works for every post 2001 vehicle, there have been a few where only a dedicated code reader (OpCOM ELM etc) works. The problems are most likely to be encountered on the 2000 to 2001 cars (maybe something to do with age before registration) On the TigraB I would say most definately will work (petrol) Not so sure on a diesel before 2004 build year.

·
Premium Member
Astra K 1.4t (150) auto SRI NAV
17,097 Posts
Hah good question you have to try it, SOME ECU's appear to have an issue with self diagnosis so I cannot say it works for every post 2001 vehicle, there have been a few where only a dedicated code reader (OpCOM ELM etc) works. The problems are most likely to be encountered on the 2000 to 2001 cars (maybe something to do with age before registration) On the TigraB I would say most definately will work (petrol) Not so sure on a diesel before 2004 build year.
#

Thanks for info. Have tried it on my astra H, works, but no codes stored.
tried it on wifes 09 TigB. There's no codes stored. Car light with spanner running through it come on & flashes continuosly, until you take feet off pedals. Presumably that must meen no codes stored?
I know Opcom works well with diagnosis & prog on the H's, as well as the obvious tech2. Had my retro cruise & sports button prog in by local dealer/stealer using tech2. That was a long job, as dealer had never prog in a sports button to a 1.6vvt before. Can be done though. I fitted the sb module & crusie myself saved a bit of cash.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts