Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this is a very small addition and is more for me to ask for info than a guide but for those of you who are eager for the progress report (Yeah right). Anyway, I found I was able to move my neck AND back last night so here's what I did :

Step 118 - Jack the car up and secure with axle stands. I threw a couple of tyres under and could really have done with ramps/a pit/something better

Step 119 - Crawl under to the point where the engine meets the transmission (This is an auto gearbox). You should be able to see two bolts on the driver's side as shown in the picture. Undo and remove both of these - they're not too tight so an easy job

Step 120 - Round on the passenger side there's a similar arrangement, two bolts to remove

Step 121 - Back to the driver's side again, there's a bigger bolt to do now. This might take some force to crack off and it will be pretty tight once it has gone so get yourself into a good position to undo it. I cracked it off with my foot by levering against a spanner - very easy that way.

Step 122 - As before there's a counterpart on the other side. This shot shows the spanner on the bolt. I put the spanner on as shown and then got out from under the car, went round and grabbed the nearside wheel for support and pushed it off with my foot again.

Step 123 - On this side there's a further bolt to get off. You can see it is below the oil filter and will once again require quite a bit of force.

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Step 124 - The downpipes both need to be removed. This shows the view from under the car on the driver's side of the car. You can see how one bolt has sheered off and the other (which is a sod to get to) is still untouched. For me 3 of the 4 bolts sheered

The second picture shows you a selection of the extension bars I had handy to get to the bolts on the downpipe.

Step 125 - The passenger side is easier but still a bit of a pig, especially nearest the bell housing (gearbox cover), which is the only one that didn't
sheer-typical!

Step 126 - Remove heatshields as necessary. Around your exhaust are heatshields which usually corrode and start to rattle. I've shown a picture of one of mine, not in the greatest shape so that'll get removed.

Anyway, as I said this is so I can ask a question - before I go wrenching at the engine, who knows whether or not I've done everything?! I couldn't see any more bolts on the transmission but fully expect there to be some hidden away at the top. Is there anything else to do before seperation?

Cheers

James

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
James,
have you got a haynes manual, as i am at the same stage as you virtually and in the haynes it says to remove a cover and undo a clamp bolt and then 6 furhter bolts around the torque converter i think. have you already done this? i think i was lucky taking off my front pipes as none of the bolts sheared, they were bloody tight though.
Cheers,
Graham

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will look through Haynes later. Don't know anything about a cover or clamp bolt - do you have any info on them?

I've done 5 bolts on the torque converter but I think there probably should have been a sixth.

Yup, exhaust bolts were bloody tight even when they sheered!

·
Registered
400 Posts
i think there are 5 bolts, but you should now have a free gearbox from engine, give it a SMALL prise apart with a screwdriver if it dosent then you still have a bolt conecting the gearbox to engine. have you disconected the prop yet and droped the rear box mountings?

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, didn't think I had to - not taking the box out so why do anything like that? Or did i miss something?

So I don't need to find covers and clamp bolts then?

·
Registered
400 Posts
JSeaman said:
Nope, didn't think I had to - not taking the box out so why do anything like that? Or did i miss something?

So I don't need to find covers and clamp bolts then?
sorry, i thought you were taking your engine and gearbox out??

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I will bring both manifolds down with me then james, think there are six torque convertor bolts - the tip is to mark the first one with white paint - then when it comes around again you know you have got them all - there are a few gearbox bolts on the top of the block - have a look at that pic that ronnie put up the other day showing the rear of the engine and that will show you were they are.
will bring a can of engine de-greaser aswell think you need it (don't want to get me hands too dirty lol)
JSeaman said:
Nope, just the engine - got enough to do without pulling the box too!!

·
Premium Member
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent, those manifolds will be very helpful!! I had two white bolts on mine already!!

I'll dig out that pic later.

Bring LOTS of degreaser won't you :lmao:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts