Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. New here, I've read quite a few posts on this forum but my problem persists, I'm hoping someone may have some advice or suggestions for me.

My car is a 2013 vauxhall zafira tourer mk 3. 2.0 SRI CDTI. It has the a20dth engine.

A few weeks ago, with the engine working hard (75ish, dual carriageway, uphill) my engine went into limp mode with the dashboard reading "engine overheated turn off" or similar. I pulled over, and called out recovery. The first thing he commented was that the engine wasn't overheated. He read the codes and it brought up "P2428 exhaust gas temperature too high bank 1". We reset the codes to drive to a nearby carpark which it did fine. I took it to a nearby garage and he looked it over, couldn't find anything wrong, and said it was hopefully one of those things and wouldn't come back.

About a week later, while towing our caravan (so under load again) it came back, same fault code. A different roadside recovery guy came out. He agreed the engine wasn't overheated, but didn't think a faulty sensor was to blame. He cleared the codes, revved the engine and watched the temperature increase on the live data for one of the two sensors.

Anyway, fast forward a couple of weeks and 2 further garages, I've done the following:

• changed the egt sensor before the dpf
  • changed the egt sensor after the dpf
  • removed and cleaned the egr valve
  • replaced a faulty (apparently) glow plug sensor.

After the egr valve was cleaned, it started throwing up the code P2033 as well which is why both sensors were changed.

I've called vauxhall customer services, who said the system didn't show any outstanding updates for my vehicle.

I've watched live data while driving on an app. I can crawl along at low speeds ok. But as load on the engine increases, the temperature goes up. It reads 350 plus, then starts flashing up to the 600 or 700s, then when it hits 1000 for a few seconds the engine goes. I've attached a screenshot of the app I've used to watch this whilst driving. The mileage is counting from when it to regen but cut out immediately.

The final complication is the dpf is on 88%. It started to regenerate on a drive earlier in the week but the engine cut out immediately.

The second roadside mechanic said that something, I assume the dpf, had aborted 92 times. Surely if the regeneration had aborted 92 times it would have been on 88% full far sooner?

Could a blocked or clogged dpf be causing the exhaust gases to get trapped and overheat? Slowing down or pulling over and stopping the engine does cause it to cool down quite rapidly.

Any help / advice or suggestions would be hugely appreciated! My normal garage hasn't got a clue, a mechanic friend who does a few odd jobs in the evening has given up, and I'm scratching my head.

Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only have a cheap Bluetooth odb with a few free apps from the play store... Will I be able to see those things?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I bought one this morning. Also fault code p2033 is still in the ECU just noticed. But engine is running with no dash lights.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It just happened again whilst idling on the drive, which it hasn't done previously. The time between it happening is getting much shorter which says to me whatever is causing it is getting worse.

Having checked the codes since getting it back from the second garage the dpf is now on 95%.

When it cut out on the drive i was watching the live data (see screenshot) the top left one, cat b1s2 went up to 1000 deg and then it cut out.

It's still reading at 700+ degrees with the engine off, only happened a few minutes ago.

Attachments

·
Worn Out Member
8,423 Posts
It's a fairly common issue,search the site or google for P2428 and the Vx technical bulletin 3160,you should find a few threads,if yours has 2 egt sensors there is a 2015 software update and possibly checks/changes to be made to the sensor pigtails,customer services were quire correct in the fact it won't be an outstanding update,rather it was used specifically for this issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took it out again this morning, cut out after less than a mile at 30mph in 3rd gear (same fault code p2428, screen shots of freeze frame data taken from my phone but unfortunately no temperature data seems to be captured). Dpf regen started but overheat happened and cut out at 20%. I was convinced a blocked dpf was causing the issues but I'm not so sure now.

I'll try looking into the software update mentioned above, thanks.

With the help of a very kind user on here I've checked voltage to both dpf / exhaust gas temperature sensors (bank 1 sensors 1 and 2) but there are no obvious faults.

It has been suggested by one of the 3 places I took it that it could be a wiring issue someone.

Any other suggestions?

Am I likely to be able to find someone that can come to the car and do it? Only way I can get it to main dealer is to tow it.

Thanks all.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've spoken to my local vauxhall dealer, they've accepted the 3160 bulletin but the "recall" was closed in 2018, meaning it won't be done under warranty and I'd have to foot the bill. To be honest, at this point I'm happy to stump up the hill, but the issue I have is it won't make it as far as the dealer, and they don't offer a mobile service.

Is getting the vehicle recovered there my only option? Or will I likely be able to find someone mobile that can apply that specific update? Ie a non vauxhall main dealer? I'm assuming vauxhall don't freely hand out their software updates.

·
Worn Out Member
8,423 Posts
Independents can pay for access to software updates, where are you?

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
16,187 Posts
I can think of a member in Avonmouth who might see this and could do this.

·
16,187 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts