Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help Needed.
Long story: I got this car (2007 Opel Signum) since mid 2020, When I got it, the car had about 180k-ish km on the dash, no warning lights, checked the car with a firend's advanced and fancy expensive diagnosis tool, no errors, No. of km checked out too, plus no hidden error codes, so eeeh.... Ka-ching.mp3, I bought it. 3 months after purchasing it, the check engine light came up and the car went into limp mode, took it to a service shop and apparently the swirl "thinghie" failed and I had to change the whole intake manifold. Fine, no probs. So keep in mind that the intake mainfold is changed and the swirl flaps are ok.

There were no major incidents or errors until one day last year, when the check engine light pops up out of the blue, and then I checked it with a generic "universal" diagnosis tool, and it returned the error code " P2279 - intake system air leak ". Notgood.jpg. Yet the car was running perfectly fine, like the light is not even there, no drama, at some point I was even thinking, why is it even on LOL, and didnt give it much attention. Sometimes the Check engine light was even turning itself off, until the engine was in load ( like climbing a steep road or flooring it past 3500-4000k RPM) and then it was popping up again, but the car was still running like nothing's wrong. So keep in mind that since then there hasnt been one day when the check engine light didnt turn on.

Actual problem: Fast forward (again) to late May of this year, and while cruising along and deciding to overtake a weekend driver going 50 in an 80 zone, the car stuttered HARD, and instantly went into limp mode all of the suddden whilst mid-overtaking. I pulled over ASAP. I tried "turning it off and on again" a.k.a restaring the engine hoping the problem will go away. Nothing. Turned it off, let it "cool down" for a half an hour, tried starting it again. Nada. I opened the hood to check the swirl rod (as it was a problem I've encountered before, see above) Still niente. Panic.exe I was about 150-ish km away from home in the middle of a field, so I was starting to worry since I knew I had some nasty uphill roads ahead, but decided (convinced) myself to keep going even in limp mode, I didnt have the time, mood or money to wait for a tow truck and it was getting late, I just wanted to get home. Then I remembered about and pulled up from the glovebox my cheap Bluetooth chinese diagnosis tool, hoping for bad, bad, news. The only code it returned was the said P2279. I tried deleting the error code, in a futile attempt to downsize the damage I already had in my mind. still Nicht. The car was running the same, horrible vibrations at idle, tons of black and blue smoke, incredible lack of power and acceleration time took painful amounts of time to get from 0 to 100 km/h with the pedal to the floor, and after 100 meters the check engline light turned on again. I BARELY managed to get home, the car was shooting smoke behind it like a train locomotive and consuming fuel like two. Finally home, I took it to 3 different car shops, and they all said the turbo is a goner. I replaced the turbo, and the check engine light came on again the same week, and it started to lack power. I took it to the services again and they checked the pipes, MAP sensors, EGR valve, Swirl flaps were ok (Remember, replaced intake manifold), vacuum hoes, etc. No problem was detected, yet the code is still there and the car runs horribly. ( Not it limp mode) just takes long to rev and it feels "tired" overall. Today it went into limp mode, and nobody is able to provide me with a solution, therefore, here I am, writing this whole essay.

Short story: The check engine light has been turned on for a while, but the car ran perfectly fine, until it finally went into limp mode and the diagnosis returned P2279 code, replaced turbo, checked pipes, MAP sensor, EGR valve, vacuum etc. Put a lot of time and money into it, and there doesn't seem to be any visible cause and eveything seems to be fine under the hood, yet the car still runs bad, and today it went again into limp mode and nobody is able to figure out why. P2279 still persists. The code is there and nobody can pinpoint the problem.

·
Registered
Zafira Active 1.9 TDCi 2009
59 Posts
If it helps my EGR was the problem. Even after buying a replacement off ebay it was still giving me a P2279.

Once I blanked off the EGR it sorted out the P2279. The code was intermittent for about a week or so but after clearing the code a few times with a cheapy bluetooth OBD it has stopped coming on and hasn't caused me a problem since. The car now runs great too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts