Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My beloved Astra g 1.8 sxi z18xe has thrown me the code p0460.

Over the last few months I've noticed that she has lost a bit of acceleration and does a slight bunnyhop when I'm just resting/cruising on the accelerator pedal. There is also occasionaly for a few seconds, a slight whiff of petrol and an egg smell in the cabin from the blower vents.

So far I have changed the plugs/coil pack/fuel filter/air filter and cleaned out all the breather pipes and throttle body (which was bad). She did run a bit better after I cleaned the pin hole on the throttle body, but now she has thrown her dummy out the pram and is nagging in my ear once again!

Oh she also revs up and down to 1500rpm and 750 rpm for a few minutes and has a rough idle until warm.

What is P0460 and what exactly would I need to do to fix it? And also could p0460 cause her to labour a bit?

It's been suggested I run a bottle of cat clean through her system as well (any good?)

Thanks for any help I may receive! She is a good motor and has looked after me and i would very reluctant to let her go.

Jamie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that's what it comes with and it is listed as fuel sensor, but I don't know what I need/cost to fix it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
is that what determines how much fuel is in the tank? My needle works! Although it can be on the red then I put a tenner in and it goes to half a tank lol

·
I refuse to grow up.
16,114 Posts
yes thats why I can't see why that code would cause the poor running. Unless the fuel pickup pipe or the swirlpot is the issue, but then I would expect other fault codes to be there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah that explains something then, I have a sneaky suspicion my cat might gunked up as well so someone said run a bottle of cata clean through it, along with an oil and filter change! Unless I have an air leak.....thanks

·
Worn Out Member
7,884 Posts
@Fire26662 on a G i'm getting these options for the code,i wonder if it's the purge flow symptom byte

P0460
-1 Tank Level Sensor Circuit High Input
-2 Tank Level Sensor Circuit Low Input
-8 Purge Flow Sensor Circuit Malfunction

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
How did you get that code? I would use the cat cleaner if you have purchased it and as you know all cars like a blood transfusion (Oil). The code you have on your year could also come down to fuel metering, mass air flow meter. If you have got the code from an Op-Com unit then I would guess it is something to do with the swirlpot and fuel pickup but if not i would try getting your hands on a temporary mass air flow meter to try or cleaning up the existing one and see if it helps.
I am sorry that's as far as I can go Fire or Valer may come back to you. If you need an working Op-Com look up @Koicarpkeeper

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How did you get that code? I would use the cat cleaner if you have purchased it and as you know all cars like a blood transfusion (Oil). The code you have on your year could also come down to fuel metering, mass air flow meter. If you have got the code from an Op-Com unit then I would guess it is something to do with the swirlpot and fuel pickup but if not i would try getting your hands on a temporary mass air flow meter to try or cleaning up the existing one and see if it helps.
I am sorry that's as far as I can go Fire or Valer may come back to you. If you need an working Op-Com look up @Koicarpkeeper
Got the code from a pedal test! The airflow would make sense I reckon, funny thing is when I wiggle the cable and tap on the mad it runs fine! But when I was doing that I never got the code. Is it a good idea to unplug the MAF as some sort of test?

·
15,401 Posts
The problem is the pedal test makes no distinction between current or historic codes. You really need a good quality OpCom kit to clear that code, then see if it comes back and if it does look at some live data to track down the cause.

Reactions: McLarenfan

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
The fact that you have noticed a change with the tapping of the wires could it be worth trying some electrical cleaner on the plug and also try the unplug, But as said by @Koicarpkeeper the best thing is an Op-Com

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think ill try the cataclean and if that makes no difference ill go for the unplug, will the engine light stay on if I unplug and plug back in? Also I've heard Vauxhalls only like certain brands of plugs?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.