Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

P0340 code and changed sensor but no luck!

6K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Defend 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've been carrying out plenty of work on my 2005 Meriva 1.4, and it's almost ready to send for its MOT but the dreaded check engine light has come on! Along with that is the amber car with the spanner symbol inside. I've used a code reader and its giving out the signals P0340 - cam shaft position sensor, and also p0141 is coming up twice. I've ordered a new o2 sensor and will replace this once it arrives. I collected a new camshaft sensor yesterday and installed but the fault code is still coming up as pending even after erasing (knew it would be too good to be true to just change it :( ). Has anyone else had this problem with a recurring fix? Was thinking of grabbing some electrical cleaner to clean the connector as the wiring all looks fine but would this work ? The car hasnt had any stalling issues so far and starts, but is lumpy and rough on idle. Cleaned out the throttle body a few days ago and car sounded perfect but now slowly transitioning back to a lumpy idle.

Many thanks - from a slowly becoming frustrated meriva owner ;)

#2 ·
Maybe the timing chains jumped or stretched. Seen this before but it usually jumps on the exhaust cam which doesnt show any lights as the exhaust cams not monitored but causes idle issues or non starts. Could also just need the camshaft reluctor wheel adjusting but if it just started all of a sudden then this is unlikely.

Another option. Could be faulty cam sensor especially if you used aftermarket sensor. seen plenty of aftermarket sensors not work correctly. Seen the odd genuine one not work also.

Another possibility is wiring fault or faulty ecu but ecu faults for this reason ain't common on the Z14xep

Disconnect the cam sensor and using a multimeter check you have 12v between the outer 2 pins with ignition on.

#3 ·
thanks very much - ill give that a go - seen some reports say it could be due to a lack of tension in the drive belt but i cant seem to work out how to re-tension that so im assuming its automatic? Seen another one say if the crankshaft is a little out of position then it can throw it off so i'll check that but haven't touched it so should be all fine - perhaps theres something mainly in the wire so I'll give it a thorough check soon - could i use electrical cleaner to clean the contact point where it plugs in? or would that make things worse.

fingers crossed something works!

#5 ·
Sorry I assumed it was a drive belt as I put on a dayco ribbed belt when I put the engine back together - have I got my words mixed up :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: was raining here today so didn’t get up close and personal with the wiring but tomorrow morning I’ll get out there and get some spray to clean them up. Waiting on the o2 sensor to change and hopefully that takes away the p0141 code - anything to prevent getting ripped off by garage :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.