Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

This is my first post and seeing all the in depth discussions here, I really hope someone can help me.

I have a bought a 99 vectra 1.8 (the x18xe1 engine). It has been idling badly and I have borrowed an opcom reader to help me. I was getting the P0130 error and the forums pointed me towards a dodgy lambda sensor. So I changed it with a brand new one, then I got the following 2 codes:

P0100 - Mass Air Flow Sensor Voltage Low
(04) - Present

P0110 - Intake Air Temperature Voltage High
(04) - Present

This then led me to the classes earth wire problem, so i did the mod. The p0100 and p0110 errors have now gone and i am back to a P0130 error. The engine flutters when pressing the accelerator pedal at idle and I also have O2 sensor readings way off the scale at 5v instead of between 0,1 and 0,9. The weird thing is that when I unplug the maf sensor, the engine runs well and my o2 reading are normal (is the mad running on default values?).

So do I go ahead and change the MAF or nots is the question? I have read all sorts of other things about EGR valves and wiring so I am feeling a bit lost.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
"Red One.."
3,052 Posts
These engines can and do suffer with airflow meter problems - working within their operating tolerance but with skewed readings (slightly high or low voltage) causing lean or rich running issues. The voltages of the MAF at tickover and and snapped full throttle might give a better indication.

The lambda sensor on these cars is a Titania type sensor, and works off a different voltage scale. Holding the revs around 2.5k rpm should see the sensor flicking rich/lean, or between around 500mV & 4500mV in the data list (as opposed to around 0.20mV-0.80mV on more common Zirconia type sensors).

The P0130 fault comes on when the readings drop under 60mV (low voltage) or over 4980mV (high) due to wiring, sensor, or excess rich/lean mixture.

Think you're on it with the MAF, but readings will help confirm.

Nick.

·
Premium Member
3,184 Posts
Well if you have Lamda sensor fault code i would have thought it might be that, as the man above says, be careful make sure you have fitted the right type, and there are probably 2 sensors one at a front of cat and one after, the front one is sensor 1 and the back one is sensor 2, but if you have fitted the wrong type, i will give all sorts of problems....Fred in Essex

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Again

Thanks for the useful information above. I have taken some reading tonight so here are the results. As predicted by nikh667, at 2500 revs, the 02 reading was flickering between around 500mV and 4500mV, is that good news for the lambda sensor?

I have taken reading with and without the MAF connected in case that helps decode the problem.

At idle, MAF connected:
Engine Speed 838 RPM
Mass Air Flow Sensor 0.6 V
Mass Air Flow Sensor 10.6 kg/h
O2 Sensor 4†082 mV

At idle, MAF disconnected:
Engine Speed 819 RPM
Mass Air Flow Sensor 0.0 V
Mass Air Flow Sensor 13.6 kg/h
O2 Sensor 4†375 mV

At 2500rpm, MAF connected:
Engine Speed 2†433 RPM
Mass Air Flow Sensor 1.4 V
Mass Air Flow Sensor 26.4 kg/h
O2 Sensor 4†433 mV

Unfortunately I forgot to take readings at full throttle but I have an early start tomorrow so that will have to wait.

If any of you guys have experience with airbag faults too, I have the following codes:
00082 - Passenger Side Airbag Sensor Circuit Malfunction
Present
00044 - Telltale Signal Low or Circuit Open
Presen

I was about to change the passenger side airbag sensor in the door but if you can helps me not waste any money on a whim be my guest. One thing I am curious about is I wonder if the passenger side is really the passenger side. I live in France and this vectra is left hand drive and I wonder if they bother changing the OBD codes between left and right hand drive cars.

Thanks in advance for any further advice, let me know if more readings may help.

cheers

Rich

·
"Red One.."
3,052 Posts
Great readings - it looks likely the MAF is reading low on the voltage, the specs for idle against the diagnostic data range between 0.2-1.4volts - you're only reaching that at 2500rpm - so likely pointing to the MAF reading slightly low, which in turn will under fuel the engine for the actual amount of air physically entering the cylinders. The flicking of the O2 sensor is a sign that it's working well and that the MAF isn't that far out, but just enough at certain engine RPM's to give running issues.

The side airbag sensor fault can really only be one of three things - the sensor itself that you mention in the door, wiring in between sensor and airbag ECU (2 wires), or the airbag ECU itself - more probable the first two. The same applies to the telltale also, this is a one-wire circuit going from the airbag ECU, up to the instrument cluster, through the bulb and to a 12v feed. The airbag ECU switches the earth to turn the light on. Does the telltale illuminate when switching the ignition on? It's detected that it's open circuit, even a blown bulb in the dash will cause this fault.

As for the LHD thing - only way to be sure is to induce a fault on another circuit, perhaps a seatbelt pretensioner, by disconnecting it, and see which side it reports in the control unit.

Nick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been looking at MAFs on ebay and I think I going to replace it. You've given me enough confidence to take the plunge now. Weird thing is, I thought the car was running rich. There's a strong smell of petrol when the MAF is connected and the lambda sensor that I changed was very sooty.

Will take a look at the airbag stuff this weekend and let you know how I get on.

Thanks for the support.

Rich

1 - 6 of 6 Posts