Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..
I need your help :(. - I'm new to dabbling in cars, so apologies in advance.

Astra Mk 5. 1.6 Z16XER.

Background:

Basically I had fault code ECN217218 - coolant sensor.

I changed the coolant sensor in the opposite end to the thermostat... I then changed the thermostat. Then a week ago I did the one in the radiator.

Problem now:

This morning I drove a mile down the road and I saw steam coming out my engine, I was stopped at a traffic light. Drove a further mile and a half to get to work and popped the bonnet.. constant steam coming out of the metal shielding that covers my manifold...

All week i have been checkin on the coolant, as I'm super paranoid..
But it hasn't dropped, which makes me believe the radiator isnt cracked?..

Could it be the heater matrix?

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
If it's coming from behind the exhaust shield it won't be the heater matrix,are you certain it's steam and not smoke from an oil leak or possible blown gasket or cracked exhaust manifold?

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
30 Posts
I could be wrong but I would of though if it was heater matrix you would of had to top up your coolant. They can also go with a bang at times.. is your coolant clean?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If it's coming from behind the exhaust shield it won't be the heater matrix,are you certain it's steam and not smoke from an oil leak or possible blown gasket or cracked exhaust manifold?

Im pretty confident it's steam and not smoke. I'm goin to do a paper test at lunch.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I could be wrong but I would of though if it was heater matrix you would of had to top up your coolant. They can also go with a bang at times.. is your coolant clean?

Yeah coolant was reolaced when I did the sensor last weekend.

Im really confused on what it could be .

I don't think it's going to be a one off. I reckon she will do it again when I drive it next. But currently stuck at work.

·
Worn Out Member
7,857 Posts
i think there's a bypass pipe running under the shield, it could be that sprung a small leak

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
30 Posts
Is the temperature gauge indicating it's over heating? It could just be spilt fluid on the manifold burning off was it has become hot..

·
Registered
30 Posts
To me it seems almost impossible for a car to overheat after just 1 mile.. have a look for the pipe suggested, take the guard off and turn it on.. then see if there is anything obvious you can spot..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To me it seems almost impossible for a car to overheat after just 1 mile.. have a look for the pipe suggested, take the guard off and turn it on.. then see if there is anything obvious you can spot..

I agree it does seem ridiculous, but I went on google maps and measure the distance...

At lunch I went and ran her for a solid 30 minutes, sometimes holding the revs at 3000.. however nothing.. she was completely fine...

·
Registered
30 Posts
It might be worth just taking that guard off just so you can have a look underneath it, if it's ran for half hour without any problem I can't see it being anything serious tbh. I would just run it and keep an eye on the coolant. Make sure there is no oil in it and that it isn't losing any..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Found out it wasn't steam, it was a little oil burning... Which turned into quite a bad oil leak that has now been solved. Thank you all for the time in commenting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts