Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Am new to this forum, Paul's the name, owner of a 2011 Combo van 1.3cdti. Here's my issue, 2 weeks ago, just after pulling out onto the road outside my house, I heard a series of "clicks" behind my dash clocks, then the van promptly died and the engine malfunction/management light lit up.
Upon taking it to a mechanic, it was discovered through a diagnostic check that there's no communication between the ECU and BCM. I got a full ECU replacement kit, which was fitted today, and lo and behold....... the very same problem is showing up. The mechanic has opened all the corrugated wiring looms to check for broken wires, and so far nothing has shown up. All pins in the ECU sockets and BCM sockets, dash sockets etc seem to be ok and show continuity. There's no water in the usual trouble areas etc.
I'm at a loss here, the van has only 160000 km on it.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Paul in county Kerry

·
Premium Member
14,189 Posts
What i mean is if you connect your diagnostic tool to the van can the tool communicate with the engine ecu or bcm as a stand alone module or do you not have comms with one of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what my mechanic is telling me, there's a loss of communication between the ECU and BCM? Does that make sense? I need to talk to him again tomorrow and get more information

·
Premium Member
14,189 Posts
Yes it does, there is a pair of Canbus wires, one Green and one White, they will be twisted together, which runs from the BCM to the ECU, this is most likely the cause of the problem, the respective wires are Green at Pin 64 and White at Pin 40 of the big plug on the engine ecu, these need to be traced back in the loom and checked for damage/corrosion, the last one i had the White wire was broken by the fuse box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ah cheers lad, I will get that checked first thing tomorrow, and hopefully be back on here with better news. Thanks very much Andyl.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it does, there is a pair of Canbus wires, one Green and one White, they will be twisted together, which runs from the BCM to the ECU, this is most likely the cause of the problem, the respective wires are Green at Pin 64 and White at Pin 40 of the big plug on the engine ecu, these need to be traced back in the loom and checked for damage/corrosion, the last one i had the White wire was broken by the fuse box.
Hi Andyl, I checked for those wires today, but there is no wire at all at pin 40, and the wire at pin 64 shows perfect continuity. There were no green and white wires twisted together at all. Would different models have different wiring looms?

·
Premium Member
14,189 Posts
Yes its possible, it may even have a single communication wire which i would assume is the wire at Pin 64, can you post the exact fault code that you have for the communication fault and any other faults that are present in any module.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes its possible, it may even have a single communication wire which i would assume is the wire at Pin 64, can you post the exact fault code that you have for the communication fault and any other faults that are present in any module.
I will ask the mechanic to txt me on the details and then post them here. Many thanks for your time and help. Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
14,189 Posts
It looks to me like the ecu is not powering up, Some fuses to check, ask him to check both sides of the fuse for battery voltage,.. Fuse F32 5 A, this supplies the glow plug relay and water in fuel sensor,..F33 this supplies the egr and boost solenoid,... F46 20A This supplies the ECU relay ,. F9 20A This supplies the fuel pump relay ,. F30 15A this goes to Pin 23 of the big ecu plug and F2 7.5A this goes to Pin 50 also on the big ecu plug, with the ignition on you should also have power to Pins 4, 6, and 80, these all come from the ecu relay and are in the big ecu plug.

Can you confirm if he can or can't communicate with the engine ecu with the diagnostic tool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks to me like the ecu is not powering up, Some fuses to check, ask him to check both sides of the fuse for battery voltage,.. Fuse F32 5 A, this supplies the glow plug relay and water in fuel sensor,..F33 this supplies the egr and boost solenoid,... F46 20A This supplies the ECU relay ,. F9 20A This supplies the fuel pump relay ,. F30 15A this goes to Pin 23 of the big ecu plug and F2 7.5A this goes to Pin 50 also on the big ecu plug, with the ignition on you should also have power to Pins 4, 6, and 80, these all come from the ecu relay and are in the big ecu plug.

Can you confirm if he can or can't communicate with the engine ecu with the diagnostic tool.
Thanks Andyl, will do. 👍

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Hey Andyl, I met with the mechanic and he has told me that the ECU is powering up, all fuses seem intact, he has checked systems independently, like fuel rail, injectors etc and everything is getting power, but it's still showing a communication loss between the ECU and BCM. At this stage he has the fuse board out so that he can check all the wiring underneath, I'm actually debating replacing the whole bloody loom........

1 - 15 of 15 Posts