Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

So, as the title says, my op com shows up as no communication when trying to retrieve fault codes on the modules. The car runs fine-ish, there is a CEL for EGR valve as I've had to remove the plug because the car was running really rough with it on (no fault codes, though), bogging down at low rpms, probably clogged egr channels in the intake messing with the AFR ratio. Makes no difference anyway as I have the same both with it plugged or unplugged.

Anyway, ECU, CIM and display work just fine. All the electronics in the car work just fine, down to the trunk light. I wanted to get into the REC to get my windows to close from remote and in the UEC to set the lights to turn on with ignition like on modern cars. I have an OPCOM 1.99V. It only works with the 2010 vauxcom software, all the newer ones test the interface successfully and then give a "no power" error when I try to read the vin, for example. It's also PAINFULLY slow on anything except the 08/2010 version.
The interface seems to work ok-ish, i've used it to clear codes, calibrate steering sensor, read some engine data, etc.

From my on-line searches people suggested checking fuse no. 24 in the REC, which I did and it looks fine to me, a 7.5 amp normal looking fuse, even changed it with a spare one and still the same thing. I don't have a second Opel or a second interface to rule it out completely.

I know the airbag computer is working, for example, because I swapped out the steering wheel and it threw an airbag light on the dash when I was testing the new steering wheel. It went away after I put the airbag in place.
20200212_130157.jpg
Any ideas?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have an aftermarket stereo. So it's to be expected to have no comm with headunit. Also no steering wheel controls adapter for this stereo. Don't know if it makes any difference but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks

·
11,997 Posts
What car?

·
Worn Out Member
5,308 Posts
With the exception of the radio all the modules you're having problems connecting to are on the MS can (pins 3&11)
it's likely a relay problem in the opcom unit,just to rule it out you could try a different lead first,
then pull the pcb out,check for any bad joints and resolder them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ill open it up and have a look but I'm not particularly adept with electronics. I'll post a fee pics when I get home. Thanks!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I opened it up and had a look inside, to my untrained eye everything looks soldered, no loose connections.

I've marked with some arrows on the back of the PCB some sloppy solder that is over the circuits and one of the pins in the connectors is shorter but I can't see anything else out of place...

20200213_215842.jpg 20200213_215849.jpg 20200213_215905.jpg 20200213_215915.jpg 20200213_220203.jpg

·
11,997 Posts
I've seen worse.
Try this - with the unit plugged into your laptop only hold the unit next to your best ear.
Pick Astra H.
Pick 2006.
Pick engine ECU
Pick any engine and listen and you should get a good, solid click from a relay.

Exit back out.
Pick Infotainment.
Pick EHU and again listen for the click.

Exit back out.
Select Body.
Select REC and listen for the click.

That checks the HSCAN, MS CAN and SWCAN relays.
You should get a solid and very distinct click from the relays and each should be as good as the other.

Try it and see what happens.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They all make a double click with the relays cycling. I think the only one that seems a BIT lower is the engine ECU.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts