Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought another Cavalier (number 10!) just for the Cesaro wheels and radio (it cost £87) but on collecting it I found it has only done 53k miles.

Even so I think I am going to have to scrap it as it has corrosion all along the top of the screen. I assume it will be screen out, weld new metal in and repaint. Is there an easier way?

It needs a new motor (currently 1.8i) as well, head gasket went leading to lots of water in the oil but I have an SEH!

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
How much corrosion? Are we talking a bit of surface rust or actual holes in the roof? Usually caused by a windscreen swap.

And it'll be a screen out job if u want it fixed, whether u'll need new metal or just fill it... dunno, depends how bad it is.

·
Premium Member
31,467 Posts
I assume it will be screen out, weld new metal in and repaint. Is there an easier way?
Either that or new roof skin mate im afraid, and the skins are like hens teeth. How bad is it? Got this job lined up for my silver gsi, and must get my black one sorted too as it too has started to go.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Windscreen out, but it seems the local boys will remove the screen while you work on it and then come refit it once the work is complete. Just have to have a storage unit to work on it I guess.

My cav has gone down the drivers side - repairing in the next few months I reckon.

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much corrosion? Are we talking a bit of surface rust or actual holes in the roof? Usually caused by a windscreen swap.
Rust visible about 60% of the window line, plus a bad area the size of a 50p rusted thro in the middle.

Thanks for all the comments, looks like I have a new 'donor' Cav! It is a red Motorsport in the V5 which I have not come across before.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Motorsport/Cesaro is the same model. If the car is taxed and tested then its worth fixing if not- then its not like you can lose much money on it. 90% of Cavs rust along the top edge of the windscreen, its very common and have seen them rotted all the way back to the sunroof before now

·
CavWeb's Oldguy
4,816 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is also red turning pink! All in all I think it has turned its last wheel in anger. At least it should be a good source of 'free' bits for the other Cavs.

·
Premium Member
31,467 Posts
@ 53k its such a shame too, but ill windscreen removal/fitting is to blame for that rust. My 1 owner gsi still has the original windscreen fitted from new thank god.!

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
@ 53k its such a shame too, but ill windscreen removal/fitting is to blame for that rust. My 1 owner gsi still has the original windscreen fitted from new thank god.!
I think mine's got it's 1st windscreen too! :cool:
And it will keep it unless something major happens to it, and if it does get done I'll be saying to the widscreen guy he's got to waxoil it before he refits the new screen! :lmao:

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
So, seriously, how does the removal and refitting of the windscreen cause the rot to set in?

·
15,300 Posts
The paint gets scratched off, then over the years the water gets behind the rubber and happily sits rotting away out of view

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
So, seriously, how does the removal and refitting of the windscreen cause the rot to set in?
When they take the screen off, they usually put a huge scrape down your bodywork and more often than not the new seal round the top doesn't cover and seal this scrape fully, water gets in and the bubbling begins...

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
this because of the damned bonded glass then?

·
Premium Member
31,467 Posts
Yes, removing the black bonding left on the vehicle has to be completely removed to ensure a good replacement seal for the new screen Gary.

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
Ah, well - I will be watching ever so carefully on Saturday. :D

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts