Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an issue with the cooling system over pressuring on my 1998' v6 CDX estate which today culminated with a pipe splitting and coolant raining out the bottom of the engine bay. I know there can't be a blockage anywhere as just done all top end engine gaskets new radiator new condenser new stat and full system flush and everything was fine. Heard a rumor that the heater bypass valve may be to blame something about if it fails in can cause over pressurizing. Am I on the right track with that one ?????. Secondly my heater works great except it will only blow into footwells it won't switch to any other vents like the windscreen or centre vents. It's a climate control model with digital temperature settings could it be the heater actuator valve or summat like that. Any help will be much appreciated.

·
Dammit...driving the world's most boring car
2,281 Posts
They do tend to run with a bit of pressure in them anyway. HBV are a pain - they don't always 'fail' themselves, I've had a hose split going into it (so cut off an inch & jubilee clipped back on)

Which hose failed?

The control arms can snap (rarely), links come off or as you say the actuator fails itself. Can you hear it trying to move anything? There is a reset procedure that might help when it gets confused. (hold OFF and AUTO for 5-10 seconds might reset the flaps).
Bit of a bugger to strip down otherwise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the first short hose from the bottom of the expansion tank down to the metal pipe that runs round o/s of engine from front to back it hadn't got any soft spots or weaknesses that were evident when I did all the top end gaskets. Tried the reset no joy when I try to switch vents I can hear a very small puff of air somewhere behind the dash.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just been out to car again now there is no noise at all nothing happens when I try to switch the vents not even the slight hiss I heard before.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts