Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Springs come out easily with a set of spring compressors, little bit more un-bolting of sub-frame and fiddling about without.

Dampers are just nut on at top and bolt on bottom so take about 20mins each side

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi

I've a P Reg Omega 2.0 GLS Auto and fitted a cheap tow bar last year (cheap in that the tow bar hangs under the petrol tank and on some of the speed bumps around our area it scraps along the top of the bumps when I have passengers in the back.

The car has not towed anything other than my little trailer but I'm looking to buying a caravan this year.

Question. Is there an easy and cheap way to beef up the rear suspension and to raise the ride height of the back of the car? It's not fitted with air suspension and I just wondered if I could raise the height without breaking the bank.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Am i right in assuming that the shocks are seperate to the springs regarding the location (i.e not housed inside the rear spring) if so, I've done them before.

Regarding "followthesun" 's question, can't you get "spacers" for the springs to stiffen up and stop the arse end from sagging, or are the springs to short?

·
Registered
32 Posts
"Spacers" now that sounds interesting ... would you know if I can get the top and bottom spaces from another car and then double up my spacers? I know I'd have to smooth the lumpy bit out in the middle ... has anyone tried this?

As far as I know (had the car 3 years and it always looked like it's backside was dragging) the springs are normal length. Would new shocks give an increased ride height?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi, anybody got any further hints for changing rear springs using spring compressors (Springs come out easily with a set of spring compressors)?
Wondering whether short compressors (20-23cm) would be easier to fit in than 30+cm?
Cheers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I changed both rear springs on my Omega as follows:
Unbolt the top of the shock absorber (easier then unbolting the bottom securing bolt)
Jack the car up.
Remove road wheel.
Unbolt the anti-roll bar-to-drop link
Pop a long iron bar between suspension and underbody and gently push down on the bar and the road spring just pops out.
Refitting in reverse order.
No road spring compressors needed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for that - could be a useful Plan 'A'. If I have problems can revert to the diff lowering approach.
Have been underneath this eve. to have another look and applied a little penetrating oil in appropriate places to help things along.
Biggest hassle has been identifying the best replacement option following the stunning £361 inc. quote from Vauxhall - that is a pair! Fitting would be a further £100.
In the end, suspect I will take the advice from various forums and go with KYB springs from http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/ as it is clearly a minefield between normal, heavy duty, constant thickness and progressive (as per OEM) and phone call to Buypartsby helped no-end. In my case, KYB's own website lookup returns RX5414 as the correct spring but if you go to the trouble of downloading the PDF catalog it propses the RJ5414 - as recommended by Buypartsby. No doubt the RX would fit, but the RJ is supposed to be a progressive design and a better match to the OEM part.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you can get hold of a nice long bar to 'push' the suspension down a tad believe me it's a doddle to remove the springs and pop new ones in ... it's easier if you've got someone to help and push the bar down as this way it frees both your hands up to handle the springs. Just make sure the car is suitably supported before using the bar.

·
Premium Member
3,632 Posts
Thanks for that - could be a useful Plan 'A'. If I have problems can revert to the diff lowering approach.
Have been underneath this eve. to have another look and applied a little penetrating oil in appropriate places to help things along.
Biggest hassle has been identifying the best replacement option following the stunning £361 inc. quote from Vauxhall - that is a pair! Fitting would be a further £100.
In the end, suspect I will take the advice from various forums and go with KYB springs from http://www.buypartsby.co.uk/ as it is clearly a minefield between normal, heavy duty, constant thickness and progressive (as per OEM) and phone call to Buypartsby helped no-end. In my case, KYB's own website lookup returns RX5414 as the correct spring but if you go to the trouble of downloading the PDF catalog it propses the RJ5414 - as recommended by Buypartsby. No doubt the RX would fit, but the RJ is supposed to be a progressive design and a better match to the OEM part.
Thanks again.
Well if you have no luck i have a full set of BRAND NEW Irmscher springs for the V6 saloon that i will be selling on in the very near future

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
Hi

I've a P Reg Omega 2.0 GLS Auto and fitted a cheap tow bar last year (cheap in that the tow bar hangs under the petrol tank and on some of the speed bumps around our area it scraps along the top of the bumps when I have passengers in the back.

The car has not towed anything other than my little trailer but I'm looking to buying a caravan this year.

Question. Is there an easy and cheap way to beef up the rear suspension and to raise the ride height of the back of the car? It's not fitted with air suspension and I just wondered if I could raise the height without breaking the bank.

Many thanks.
change your towbar would be the best way to go,the underhanging towbars are crap,there was a case where someone with a carlton ripped the rear part of his car away because of these towbars,he was towing a caravan and went over a raised manhole where the road was being serfaced,the original towbar is hidden out of the way under the rear bumper,all new towbars for cars after a certain year have to be styled like the oe bar

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.