Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi peeps, right this is my first post and i wish it was on better terms than this but im at end of my teather with my elite after having owned it after only 8 days!!!!

i'm a vauxhall man 100% through and through having owned nova's cav's veccy's and finally i decided to grow up a bit and buy an omega 3.0 v6 24v auto elite model at a nice price £1200

i knew it needed breaks but was happy to pay screen price as its in such good nick (or so it seemed), so i brought it home from southampton to Birmingham without any problems. (last saturday)

next morning, it refused point blank to start so after a call to the aa, they came, removed the aftermarket immobiliser and all was good again.

"These things happen" i thought, still smiling...

Wednesday just gone went to go home from work it wouldnt let me in so i unlocked with key and tried to start without success so yet again out come the aa to start and test and finally diagnose the battery's buggered. So i spent just shy of fifty quid replacing it.

And till today its been a pleasure to drive......

Today, seeing as insurance docs came through i'd put 12mth tax on it, then filled it up with fuel, got about 100 yrds round the road when the bloody thing died again. Yet again i phoned the aa, (now on my friends and family package on my mobile) and out he came again, took the front cover off and immediatly said "cam belts gone mate"

And now she sits outside my house.

Basically, the aa man said its scrap as its not worth fixing them, but as u can imagine after only owning it a week im a little bit p****d at hearing this, so phone a few friends of mine and got conflicting reports.....

so i hope u can help me. (i was doing 30mph @ time of snap)

DO I>>>>#

a) put a new belt and tensioner , line the cams up & it'll be fine

b) try to find parts and find someone to repair it??

c) scrap it?

basically thats the brunt of the argument as i've been told on one hand i can fit new belt and tensioners and it'll be fine, but on the other hand been told its ruined and it's gonna cost £500+.........

sorry for the long post as well but it's my first and as u can see i'm gutted (and bankrupt now lol)

thanks for any help you can give me

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Firstly, welcome, wish it was under better circumstances.

Best case scenario will be bent valves. If you are able to do work yourself, at least start stripping to see how bad it is. If you are not able to do this kind of work, it ain't worth paying someone to do it.

If you break it for spares, you should make back quite a bit...

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Cam belt failure (or, to be precise, the tensioner fails) is THE most common problem on the V6, recommendation is replace every 40k, and if unsure (e.g. just bought the car) replace anyway!

Usual damage is bent vlaves, and potential piston damage. Unless you have one of them pin-hole laser video devices that go in through the plug socket, there is no way of telling what happens until you get the heads of.

Having said that, I had the tensioner fail and limped to the garage without damaging anything - (engine was evry noisy and low on power) but from what I hear on these forums this is the only case where a failed tensioner did NOT damage anything so you will probably not be so lucky.

Garage repair is out of the question, removing the heads and replacing the valves is VERY time consuming and at garage labour rates will be prohibitive (unless you have a very friendly local independant).

If the pistons are not damaged and you are mechanicly inclined, it will not cost you much to do it yourself. You can take the heads off, replace any damaged valves (assuming no piston damage), put new head gasket and a new belt and tensioner (and coolant pump while you are at it). Parts cost should be around 100-200 quid, try www.autovaux.co.uk (call them, the website is useless).

Alternatively, if you find a similar engine in a scrapyard you could buy the two heads and use them as they are, so no need to dismantle the camshafts and valves - but only if the heads are good and clean.

The buttom line is: garage repair - now, DIY - possibly, but you will need to take the heads off to see what damage you actually have.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
TheBoy said:
Firstly, welcome, wish it was under better circumstances.

Best case scenario will be bent valves. If you are able to do work yourself, at least start stripping to see how bad it is. If you are not able to do this kind of work, it ain't worth paying someone to do it.

If you break it for spares, you should make back quite a bit...
...and if you do decide to break if for spares, you will find many a friendly vulture on this site who will be after bits and pieces ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well the most i've took to pieces was my old 16v veccy a couple of years ago and thought that was a challenge in itself, i know a fair bit, mainly from what i've learnt over years of owning vauxhall's, but i must openly admit that i know absolutly nothing about the v6 lumps.

What are the chances of picking up a recon lump, and what price should i expect to pay for one?

cheers peeps

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
markjay said:
The buttom line is: garage repair - now, DIY - possibly, but you will need to take the heads off to see what damage you actually have.
Er... should be 'garage repair - no'. Sorry.

R

·
0 Posts
Steve. I am sorry to hear what has happened.

If the cambelt has snapped, the engine is effectively scrap. It depends on the age of the car, condition etc as to what you do next, but cambelt is the one thing over and above everything else on these cars that you must replace upon purchase unless you have hard evidence that it has been changed with the tensioners within the last 40k or 4 years. The first thing I was told when I joined the forum, and I changed it immediately.

I know this doesn't help you now, so sorry if it is rubbing salt in the wound.

Best bet is to have a good look at it to make sure it is actually the cambelt firstly. If it is, and I suspcet it is, don't even try to fix the engine. The chances are the valves are bent, the pistons are damaged and the cylinders and heads could also be damaged. There is no room on these engines for cambelt failures.

If that is the case, consider putting another engine in or sell the bits. If it is auto and V6, you will have a lot of very sellable parts. All the ancilliaries, PAS pump, Starter, Manifolds, Alternator, new battery etc etc. Then there are all the other parts from wheels to doors, climate control, cruise, computer etc.

You will lose money, but I would rather lose £600 than lose £1600.

If you do buy another Omega, check out the cambelt situation before you even consider test driving it let alone buying it.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is better to let you know where you likley stand than try and pretend it is no problem.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
RonaldMcBurger said:

If the cambelt has snapped, the engine is effectively scrap. It depends on the age of the car, condition etc as to what you do next, but cambelt is the one thing over and above everything else on these cars that you must replace upon purchase unless you have hard evidence that it has been changed with the tensioners within the last 40k or 4 years. The first thing I was told when I joined the forum, and I cated immediately.

Best bet is to have a good look at it to make sure it is actually the cambelt firstly. If it is, and I suspcet it is, don't even try to fix the engine. The chances are the valves are bent, the pistons are damaged and the cylinders and heads could also be damaged. There is no room on these engines for cambelt failures.

If that is the case, consider putting another engine in or sell the bits. If it is auto and V6, you will have a lot of very sellable parts. All the ancilliaries, PAS pump, Starter, Manifolds, Alternator, new battery etc etc. Then there are all the other parts from wheels to doors, climate control, cruise, computer etc.

If you do buy another Omega, check out the cambelt situation before you even consider test driving it let alone buying it.

I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it is better to let you know where you likley stand than try and pretend it is no problem.

Good luck

RB is right, the potential damage could be huge, so if you are considering a DIY repair it is paramount that you acurately asses the damage first before spending any money on parts e.g. new belt, valves, etc. And yes, there is a very good chance that the engine is scrap.

Getting a recon may not be economical, and also keep in mind that unless you swap it yourself, again paying garage labour rate for the engine swap is not practical.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
RonaldMcBurger said:

If the cambelt has snapped, the engine is effectively scrap. It depends on the age of the car, condition etc as to what you do next, but cambelt is the one thing over and above everything else on these cars that you must replace upon purchase unless you have hard evidence that it has been changed with the tensioners within the last 40k or 4 years. The first thing I was told when I joined the forum, and I changed it immediately.

Good luck

The irrating thing to this is the fact it was booked in to have the belt and tensioners changed next saturday morning (earliest i could get it booked in) as well as a major service, (1st thing i do to all newly aqquired cars) as its sat at 112k at present and the service history shows it was replaced at 41k and 77k upon new owners so i knew it was approaching point of replacement.

And yes as indirectly asked, it is an auto v6 as i love them to bits!!!

Personally i'm truely gutted about it, and openly lost as to what to at the moment!

Also many thanks for the honesty given! dont think i'll be wasting the time getting it towed to the garage for them to charge me 5 hrs labour to tell me the same!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Not to sound patronising but hopefully anyone reading this and thinking of buying will check if this has been done. i know this doesnt help you mate and this is not intended as a dig in an unhappy hour - just hope maybe it savs someone in the future.

Really sorrry to hear of the issue - out of intrest when last was it done, any indication from seller it was done recently. Long shot but maybe it has ben done? maybe recenty and maybe wrongly? maybe theres comeback there for you? lots of maybes i know....

i hate to see any car scrapped but as Ronald ( welcome back matey) says you will make a fair bit of scrapping it, me, well i would be looking for a new engine and getting the joy from the car.

considor if you scrap it, you still gotta buy a new car,

kind regards
mark

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
Well different car - but also a V6....

got the cambelt changed on my Cav last December, and have just picked up a V6 Vec about a month ago..... although well serviced and looked after have no hard evidence that the cambelt "kit" was replaced recently and so am looking into getting that done and have contacted a local mech (Vaux trained) that does it 'on the side'.

probably wont actually get it done until next weekend at the earliest and am hoping it makes it intact until then.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea i know it was a risk buying it with it being so close, but as is said, it was getting it done next week it still technically being 5k early than it needed to be changed.

Fortunatly my other car ( Poorly 850 t5r) was still on sale on ebay due to come off tommorow night, so i've had to apologise to all and withdraw the sale, as although the head gaskets gone in it, it still drives and will get me to work for a bit longer!!!!

R

·
0 Posts
expatscot said:
Well different car - but also a V6....

..... hoping it makes it intact until then.
I hate to say it, but is that wise in view of the above?

As soon as I was told about this cambelt situation on the Vauxhall V6, I locked my car where it is and got the bits together to do it. I personally wouldn't even try to start that car if I were you. It is just too much of a sod's law that Steves has packed up with 7 days of him getting it done. Don't push your luck, it could be very expensive. Is it worth the risk?

Lets put it another way. Repalcement V6 engine plus about 2 days work = about £500+. Heads or tails?????

R

·
0 Posts
Steve9881 said:
yea i know it was a risk buying it with it being so close, but as is said, it was getting it done next week it still technically being 5k early than it needed to be changed.

Fortunatly my other car ( Poorly 850 t5r) was still on sale on ebay due to come off tommorow night, so i've had to apologise to all and withdraw the sale, as although the head gaskets gone in it, it still drives and will get me to work for a bit longer!!!!
What is wrong with the T5? I am looking for one at the moment. Item number please.

Oh, I didn't read this fully. OK, head gasket. Easy on the volvo by comparsion. (I have had lots of Volvo's). When it is ready for sale again, let me know. I may be interested.

R

·
0 Posts
Yes Mark, but 77k may have been more than 4 years ago. Buggers these cars. Yes yes, I know they are nice, yes yes, but what a bar steward of a thing to happen to this poor guy.

·
Premium Member
1,811 Posts
RonaldMcBurger said:
I hate to say it, but is that wise in view of the above?

As soon as I was told about this cambelt situation on the Vauxhall V6, I locked my car where it is and got the bits together to do it. I personally wouldn't even try to start that car if I were you. It is just too much of a sod's law that Steves has packed up with 7 days of him getting it done. Don't push your luck, it could be very expensive. Is it worth the risk?

Lets put it another way. Repalcement V6 engine plus about 2 days work = about £500+. Heads or tails?????
Good point - and I think I will use the Diplomat any time I can at the moment..... but it is not always available and I need to be mobile. Am aware it is a risk, but am going to keep use to a minimum.... between here and VVOC and other forums there have been a few cambelt/tensioner failures recently.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Dont fix it yourself go and demand the money back from who you brought it from if you only had it a week. If its a garage they have to give your money back! If its a private seller then tell them that you will take them to the small claims court if they do not return your money. Basically the cars now worth nothing after a week I would be straight round there guns blazing (not actual guns that would be rather illegal);) ;)

·
Registered
761 Posts
Stevie9881

Matt has a point y`know - back to seller quoting legal stuff, refrencing trading standards, sale of goods act 19whatever, "goods not fit for the purpose for which they are meant for/sold for" it may not work but you may get some form of compromise - would perhaps try that myself

On the flip side theres that old saying " buyer beware" canny mind its rather nice latin version !! :p

1 - 20 of 80 Posts