Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
99T Omega 2.5 CDX

Ive checked the FAQs and searched the forum but this seems to be a new one...so here goes !

My drivers door keeps flying open - most often when going around sharp bends or roundabouts, sometimes when going over a bump in the road and even occasionally on the motorway ! Its totally unpredictable and the door just pops open - or if going round a left bend flies open to the stop!. I am going to take the door card off later and lubricate the lock but I get the feeling this isnt going to solve the problem as the door does close with a nice clunk as it should. I have tried slamming the door hard to close it and also closing gently - same problem which ever way I do it.

Any ideas ? is the door striker and lock position adjustable on the Omega ? perhaps they are out of line. Just took a quick look in the haynes manual and it was no help at all ...

Thanks

Scott

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok, I answered my own question - just had the door apart , the mechanism is knackered. Its supposed to lock in a partial closed position (to stop the door flying open if you dont fully close it) then go to a second click to fully close the door. First position doesnt hold, I can push it open with my finger and second position isnt fully engaging. Lubricated and put back but problem persists, i think the retainers are just worn down inside. Double checked against the passenger side mechanism which works fine and proved that the drivers side is definately not working as it should. Cars done 120k so I guess its just wear and tear.

Thought it might be that the inside or outside handles werent fully going back and the partial pressure on the push rods was causing it to behave like this but no such luck.

Off the the garage next week then -going on hols later in the week so need a quick fix.

Expensive month- service, 4 tyres, cam belt fingers crossed this is the last problem for a while !

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had this on my '99 2.5 CD a while back. You can check it without taking the door apart - open the door and put a scredriver's shaft into the slot in the 'door cam' that engages with the fixed bar bolted to the door frame. Rotate the cam as it would do if the door was closing - it should latch with the slot vertical, and only rotate to 'slot horizontal' on operating the door handle. On mine, with a worn mechanism, it didn't latch in the vertical poition and could be rotated back to the horizontal by moving the screwdriver.

Only cure is to replace the worn bits.

Never had this on any other car.:(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for confirming my suspicions vince...

I knew it wasnt latching as I could move the latch with my finger - but I took the door apart hoping that some lubrication and adjustment of the push rods might fix it. Alas this didnt work its knackered so time for a replacement.

Kind of scary really that the mechanism fails in such a way that the fail safe second stop , which is there precisely to stop the door flying open if it unlatches itself has failed at the same time as the main latch.

Big surprise to me when it happened the first time and the door flew fully open ! Luckily it didnt hit anything

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.