Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, ive got a 2ltr td vectra at the moment, am looking for an auto diesel, what advice would any one give about an omega, whats the accelleration like compered to the vectra, fuel consumption, reliability etc, any advice would be apprecciated. geof.

·
Registered
489 Posts
well first of all don't listen to what people say on here! as most of them dont have a clue, i have had 2 td auto's 1 was a cdx the other an elite, both were great cars! reliabillity was good bar the auto box which really needs to be serviced regularly other than that they sound very powerfull and go at a reasonable pace for a diesel. 130bhp standerd but you can pick up a chip quite cheap and boost it up to 160-170bhp with bags of torque. as for mpg, they are not in any way economical they do OK you will adjust in a matter of a week or so. and i kid you not once you have had one there is no going back to a vectra imho.

how much are you looking to spend? what trim level do you want? reg? etc....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the reply, im maybe looking to spend upto 2 thousand. level of trim, not to bothered ( ive driven around in a 1952 land rover in the past ) so most modern cars are luxurious. about the auto gearbox needing regular servicing please elaborate.geof.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Some people hate diesels, just because they're diesels, and don't realise how good modern ones can be. I actually like (even prefer) diesels, but I drive a petrol Omega at the moment.

The BMW 2.5 diesel fitted in Omegas is not the best diesel in the world. Its pretty naff in BMWs and Landrovers, but detuned even further for the Omega. Also, the service interval is 4500 miles, which is ridiculus :grrr

Its not the most economical car in the world, but then the Omega is a heavy car anyway. An example that has not been looked after can have worse economy than the petrol ones.

Whilst its not a unreliable engine, parts can be incredibly expensive for the TD unit. Also, it appears that it is not the strongest engine in the world - things like failed conrods are not unheard of, and big ends sometimes need attention.

On the positive side, the Omega is a lovely car, much better than Vectra, nice ride, quieter, more comfortable.

L

·
0 Posts
I have to defer to others who know much more about diesels than me, but the facts are that the BMW unit is not the best.

In diesel terms, it is old technology, and others did it far better. If I was buying an older diesel it would be a Peugeot, because I could not afford a Mercedes!

Economy is not much better than a 2.6 V6 petrol, (and the V6 is much cheaper on parts/servicing).

This is not to say there are not some good ones about, but they are generally not sold!

People like Omega V6CD (VERY knowledgeable on diesels) and of course Marks DTM Calib will give more detailed information.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks everybody for their input. so the omega or bmw is possibly underpowered and not that economical, any thoughts on audi diesel auto. geof.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts