Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Second Omega, 1st Crash in 15 years driving.

All I can say after a 32 ton truck argues with you and unfortunately wins, I walked out of this with only glass shard cuts and a stiff neck 5 hours afterwards.

I rate airbags and Omegas for safety in uncertain circumstances.

I am on the market for a newer Omega, 2.5l+ CD spec upwards, Keep your eyes open folks.....

Mobile phone pics only, sorry about the quality. Need a new VXON sticker for the new car too!!!

http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=632&stc=1&d=1142045371

http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=633&stc=1&d=1142045371

http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=634&stc=1&d=1142045371

http://www.cavweb-forums.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=635&stc=1&d=1142045371

Attachments

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Sorry to see that mess. Glad you're OK.

Now the insurance fun begins!

We have a couple of members who've been down this road if you need advice!

·
Registered
761 Posts
Ouch i take it thats a write off, still some salvagable parts though,

Looked like a cracking car - great colour.
HOWEVER the main this is you are here to tell the tale - cars can be replaced humans cant.Take care.

·
Premium Member
2,851 Posts
Glad to see you're OK, that twisted bit of metal is only a car at the end of the day....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Glad to hear you are okay, as for the omega taking on a 32 ton lorry it was a good servant look like it saved things from being a lot worse for you, pleased you are keeping with the omegas. Saw a bad shunt on the m/way with a smart car and a transit the other month, did not think the smart cars could get any smaller untill I saw that crash, yes the driver was okay.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Yikes, that looks bad.

But still at least the Omega performed well in the impact. Thats all we can ask of our cars, that they protect our nearest and dearest in the event of something like this.

Hate to be a vulture, but, did your CDX have a rear blind.........:D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the comments Guys.

I will be really sorry to lose that one, almost showroom condition pre accident, appealing colour and damn good fun to drive.

Best thing was I do recall not feeling worried when I was getting spun around the front bumper of the truck and into the crash barrier!

Cipher, no the CDX didn't have a rear sunblind, my previous 2.0GLS did though!

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
Used to be a traffic cop, and cleared up after this type of accident several times, usually it was a foreign driver in a left hooker, with no blind spot mirrors.

Police in Kent are clearing up after this type of accident at least 9 times a week.

It is becoming more and more common.

Had an accident with a British lorry, UK company UK Plates Polish driver in Jan last year.

Haulage companies (from my experince) will try and fight their liablility all the way, not a fun ride, but it looks like you have their balls in a vice.

Just out of curiousity (if you can remember) did it have Blind spot mirrors ont he nearside of the Cab?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think it did. Unfortunately it is only a recollection of looking through the drivers door. Blind spot was mentioned as was foreign truckers.

Couldn't take pics of that side as was not going to stand in the flow of the traffic - was causing enough gridlock already!

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
If it did have extra mirrors on the NS, then its basically careless driving.

The blind spot started as an issue to left hookers, as most didnt have mirrors on the OS, so when they moved right to overtake, a car was easily lost below the drivers line of sight, so they started to fit extra mirrors so that the drivers could see into the blind spot by the os door.

It looks like a Volvo FH so it should of had blind spot mirrors as standard.

Do you have any details of the model of the cab?

·
Registered
99 Posts
sorry to hear about yer accident buddy, least you weren't seriously hurt, cars no matter how good they are can be replaced, unlike us mortals, good luck with the insurance claim, they like to take yer money but not so keen to pay it out, hope you find a good replacement, i know it can take a while to find the right car sometimes

all the best
eamonn

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cipher, truck as far as I could tell was a saab scania - guess from looking at the badge under passenger side of window. Other pics detailed the front - 114L under drivers side of grille, 380 under passenger side of grille.

Eamonn, had a scoot round cheshire this afternoon, may have found a 2.5 Elite due in at a garage over coming days. Salesman was impressed with piccies and offered a possible 1st refusal on it. Only thing was previous car had 59k, this one (have not seen it yet) has 90k on a T plate. Around 2k purchase price! I will let you know where it is if I don't like it!

·
Registered
86 Posts
sms01 said:
Cipher, truck as far as I could tell was a saab scania - guess from looking at the badge under passenger side of window. Other pics detailed the front - 114L under drivers side of grille, 380 under passenger side of grille.

Eamonn, had a scoot round cheshire this afternoon, may have found a 2.5 Elite due in at a garage over coming days. Salesman was impressed with piccies and offered a possible 1st refusal on it. Only thing was previous car had 59k, this one (have not seen it yet) has 90k on a T plate. Around 2k purchase price! I will let you know where it is if I don't like it!
It's a Scania 114 38 tonner..I drive one for a living and yes they do have blind spot mirrors..Glad your ok shame about the car though!....seems a strange accident as it appears he hit you with his tractor unit? if so how could he not see you as I assume he was overtaking you at the time? ..or was it in busy slow moving traffic and he decided to change lanes?.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It was his tractor unit which contacted with my door, pushed back wheels out to the side causing a slide and as power was on trying to out steer my opponent, hit the barrier head on - then he hit me again!

Don't know how he didn't see me unless he didn't look!

Wasn't busy - 1.15pm, vehicle in front of me had just pulled to the side so we were both clear lanes in front. He had just straightened up from a bend though.

Think it was a typical lane change routine but he failed to see the meega immediately to the side of his front wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,201 Posts
like you said, Unless he didn't look,

this is basically careless driving, he didn't look, and unfortunatley for yourself, your vehicle was in his blind spot. All to easy to miss a car, you can see it because of the driving height/position, and the ns door! But this is what the mirrors are for.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts