Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people
I'm hoping that you might help. This morning, I went to view a Corsa 1200 (N plate) that looks very sound all round. It has obviously been looked after.

Mileage is 66k. I am concerned about the engine being very oily with what looks to be a head gasket problem. As I half expected the filler cap underside had a good coating of 'mayonnaise' too.

The car has been used by a middle aged woman for the journey to work (5 miles at a time) and general driving for pleasure.

Should I avoid it? Could there be any nasty issues that I might regret? What to do to put it right? And is it worth the £995 ticket?

My apologies if this post is 'out of order'. I figured that the best place to get Vauxhall technical info is on a Vauxhall forum!

Cheers.

Baggins

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
More than likely the mayo on the filler cap has been caused by short journeys.

Chances are the oil is from a weeping rocker box gasket - common fault.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
As above, because engine doesn't ever get hot enough, any water traces inside won't evaporate so it builds up on the cap and mixes with the oil on the cap.

Check the water in the main coolant tank and check to see how that is.

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
agree with both of the above, short journeys is no doubt the cause, although check the coolant level all the same. the oil is most probably the rocker gasket, and they are not difficult to change.

it certainly would not put me off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all. Just the reassurance that I want tho' I'm a bit apprehensive about cylinder heads and such like! The car does look good apart from this and I think I'm tempted to go for it. Might try and get a few quid knocked off.

Oh well, I suppose I had just settle into membership of this forum then!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts