Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Had another load of work done on Zaffy had the Radiator and A/C condenser replaced and they where tracing an oil leak..... The Mechanic said he wasn't sure if was oil pump gasket (which he has never seen fail) or the sump gasket with is still got factory sealant on.... Question is I have seen how big those oil pump gasket is I can believe why he never seen one fail...... Do I opt for a sump and gasket replacement, hope for the best and bang the car in MOT in May...... What have you experienced with oil pumps etc

Engine is z16xe1 (2007 1.6)

This car was bought last year and turned into a project car through the lockdowns to get it back into a decent running car so I would be willing to get to the bottom of the works list (nearly there)

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,536 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but i dont think this engine has a sump 'gasket' i think its sealant..

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it is sealant my bad, mech thinks it may be time to replace it lol

·
Premium Member
3,287 Posts
I would have thought it more likely to be the oil pump gasket than the sealer on the sump.
Don't forget the gasket has to stand the oil pressure, while the sump is not under pressure.
I would suggest you get in where the oil leak is with some brake cleaner spray, and give it a good clean to help diagnose it better.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They have done that....... Vauxhall has no pumps in stock would have to wait few weeks so I am going to go down the sump road as it's too close to MOT just hoping it will sort it....... And that very least will be an advisory.....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cleaned it up and ran the car out and back and got these photos..... don't think it is the pump rather oil that is spreading around but I've only looked for about 10min with wheels on the deck

·
Registered
302 Posts
Don't worry about MOT, if it is not dripping causing a pool of oil - 75mm diameter in 5 min - they should just write an advisory.

I feel your pain - two weeks ago replaced the oil pump gasket, which means the sump down (got 1.8), and still got a leak fk where from. B...tch job as well as the oil was still dripping even after a week out of service.

My was wet halfway up on front, so decided to take it all down as had problems with the cambelt as well.

With what is involved, if you don't see it halfway up wet where the gasket is, I would just try to do the sump. In any case, original Vx gasket has similar price (£26) as other sources.

Also, if I see it correctly you would probably want to take the sump down anyway as you have a leak from the oil level sensor as well (and dry above).
Another place to look at is a leak from the oil cooler - it seem to be wet well above the oil pan on front, and the crankshaft seal - you have wet bottom part of the crank cover. Just to be sure.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have watched a video about replacing the oil pump and the more I look at it the more convinced it's NOT that gasket

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Where the hell is that I can't find it on the drawings

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cannot find anything relating to an oil cooler on the z16xe1 engine - the filter is a tradiational metal cartridge that screws into the N/S of the front of the engine block

·
Registered
302 Posts
Oops, missed it's 1 not R. Sorry.
Still, personally I would investigate why it is wet significantly above front line of the sump.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mechanic didn't say anything about it, just that its coming from the front corner where the pump/water pump block attach to the crank case and sump - trying to get it in before end of the month, or take the advisory

1 - 13 of 13 Posts