Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i had my car serviced in vauxhall in may 2006 and i was travelling down the M6 and the car suddenly jurked and we pulled over RAC man came and said no oil took it back to vauxhall and they said our cars use a litre of oil per thousand miles is that true? i have never had to top up oil between a thousand miles. can anyone give me an idea?

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
no oil

Im no expert but sounds very wrong to me. i have a 2002 astra estate 1.7tdi, since i have had it i have done 7,500 miles, i check my oil regulary and since i have had it the oil level has only gone down by a millimeter (if that!), sounds to me like a bad oil leak or they forgot to put the oil back in!

·
Qualified lego bricklayer
9,180 Posts
they said our cars use a litre of oil per thousand miles is that true?
Er, sort of. They can use up to a litre per 1000 miles, but not necessarily they actually do. Some engines will, some won't.

Are you saying though that you haven't checked the oil level since it was serviced back in May of this year? Not wishing to dictate to you, but that's asking for trouble; regardless that it hasn't previously used oil.

·
Registered
298 Posts
My astra 1.6 16v uses approx 1 liter of oil per 1000-1500miles. i believe this is ok, but this will improve now that i am having a new cylinder head and gaskets fitted.

·
^^ Look! - BLUE :D ^^
544 Posts
it is in the handbook after all,so worth noting for the future,i tend to stop and see if i can help people who break down in odd places and the majority sat there in tears purely because they dont have the odd poke around under the bonnet,it takes 2 minutes,reassures you and saves you from welding the whole lot together,not to mention the 50+litres of oil i got through on the roadside last year helping people out!

If the lesson has been learnt then fair enough.

Rich

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.