Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 91 2ltr 8v has been sitting on the drive for nearly 8 months while I was doing some work on it for the MOT. Since passed it's MOT and is, well was, all back on the road again...

A couple of days ago the oil light started flickering, so I checked the oil and added about a pint to take it to the max line. But the oil light carried on flickering. Then yesterday it came on and stayed on!!! So I carefully limped it the 6 or 7 miles home, re-checked the oil and there was about a pint too much :shame:

What could it be??? Oil pump? Blocked strainer? Blocked oil-way?

I'm stumped and wondered if there is a common problem that regularly crops up that would cause this before I get to dismantling bit's of the engine...

Thanks in advance

Lee

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stuart002 said:
the sender could be knackered.
That was my first thought but the ever so slightly growing cam clack on the way home made me think otherwise :cry:

I've had a couple of Fords (spits wildy at hearing that vehicle make said outloud) and they had a tendency of the oil strainers cloggin' up!

Might just dump it and find me a nice red top to stick the gap it leaves :lmao:

stuart002 said:
Welcome to the foums m8!:Cool2:
Many thanks :smile

Lee

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
does sound a bit like the oil pump! - getv the oil pressure checked to make sure. It's an easy enough job to change.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
propwash said:
does sound a bit like the oil pump! - getv the oil pressure checked to make sure. It's an easy enough job to change.
I will do mate.
stuart002 said:
any bottom end noise??
No it's definately noise from the head... have to find meself another head for the 20SEH :cry:

Thanks guys.

Lee

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wotsthestory said:
Got one here, cleaned and skimmed.

Cam Carrier and New Gasket set as well if wanted.
What sort of pennies are we talking?

Lee

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
probally you oil pickup pipe is cogged. Look for sign of too much gasket sealer around the sump. Common probelm ppl put on too much and then it gets clogged in the lift pipe.
jimscavsri16v said:
who says u need a new head??

·
Likes this.
11,308 Posts
Happened on my old Triumph Acclaim. Oil light flickered a couple of times, then came on permanently. I limped it about a mile but then stopped because it started getting very tappy.

Replaced oil pump and it was fine. Didn't need anything else. :)

Welcome to VxON by the way :beer:

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers guys n gals,

I'll check them all out tomorrow. will update me progress as I go :D

Lee

·
VxOn's Nissan Advocate
1,324 Posts
SteveW said:
Happened on my old Triumph Acclaim. Oil light flickered a couple of times, then came on permanently. I limped it about a mile but then stopped because it started getting very tappy.

Replaced oil pump and it was fine. Didn't need anything else. :)

Welcome to VxON by the way :beer:

happened to my golf gti, the gauze on the pick up was choked, burnt it clean with a blowtorch. job sorted.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts

Done a bit of research for you

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]If the hydraulic tappets are noisy despite them being renewed and despite the frequent oil changes, then maybe the oil pressure is lower than it should be. If you haven't got a gauge installed, either go and fit one, or have it checked at a garage.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A common reason for oil pressure to be low is the oil pump spring getting weak.[/FONT]

Any one ever changed this spring as a service?

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Right progress.... well sorta....

Strainer was fairly clean (now even cleaner)

Pressure relief valve cleaned and seemed ok

So I've bit the bullet and ordered a new oil pump... gotta pick it up in the mornin'... so looks like my saturday is sorted lol.

I'll let you all know results tomorrow.

Lee

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Right oil pump changed no probs however unable to start yet... not sure I want to either after I looked at the cam pulley before I took it off! The dowel pin in the cam end was hammered hard in and the pulley was bolted on about 140º out!!!!!! Going to check where number 1 is set in the dizzy cap and see how far off it is.....

Will update again soon.

Lee

·
Registered
270 Posts
Oh shoot mate - you'll prob find the cam pulley has slipped at some point and sheared the pin clean off, in line with the end of the cam... fingers crossed it'll be ok... you've nearly sussed it mate!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK.... popped the timing belt back off and re-aligned the pin (which was knocked in and not sheared), put it all back together and broooooom :Cool2:

However still got me knockin' :shame: oh and a slight oil leak on the sump which I must check and re-tighten :rolleyes:

However.... I've been offered a 20SEH out of an MOT failure with only 80k on it and it's fairly local (Thanks Jed ) So my fingers are crossed as I need the car Thursday to get down to Bristol for a surprise for the GF :fauxcul:

Lee

PS. Jed your :mobilefon is gonna ring :Cool2:

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Getting the SEH is a bit of a result,pity you've gone through the trouble of changing the pump on the old engine and it's still the same though:down: .Might be worth getting the ecu for off the sri if its avalible too even though i'm not sure if the seh ecu is the same spec as you existing one.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts