Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vauxhall meriva 1.4 sort active , red oil light on when gets warm changed switch as it was leaking and yet still the issue , any ideas , please don't know what else to do

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
What’s the level like in the coolant tank ? What engine temp are you running when it gets upto temp and the light pops on ?

·
Premium Member
16,145 Posts
The last time I saw this was on my sisters 1.0lt corsa but it runs the same oil setup as your meriva and it was worn main bearing shells/crank bearing shells allowing the oil pressure to drop when the oil got thin. It ended up in the scrap yard as a result.

The fact it's only when hot suggests the pickup isnt majorly clogged. Does the engine sound any noisier when accelerating/decelerating.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
When was the last oil & filter change done, and was the correct oil used?
You need to get the oil pressure checked with a gauge.
Unfortunately, if the pressure is low, then there is the chance it could be costly to put right.

·
Premium Member
16,145 Posts
Funny you should mention the oil filter because I noticed my oil light was taking longer to go out when the engine was started both cold and hot so I dont oil and filter last week and the filter was deformed. It now goes off instantly.

Heres the offending filter. Only covered 5k.

20200318_151122-768x1024.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What’s the level like in the coolant tank ? What engine temp are you running when it gets upto temp and the light pops on ?
Its getting to just under 90° just before it comes on , the coolant tank is at Max temp it's only done 68,000

1 - 7 of 7 Posts