Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all i have an oil leak not sure where its from i have Circled it in yellow?

·
Super Moderator
26,978 Posts
Have you cleaned up the area where the oils been leaking from ?
Looks ok from the image.

·
13,898 Posts
I think Fred asked the question because there isn't any apparent oil leak visible in your photo.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
Registered
49 Posts
somtimes it help if you take a wide shot then a close shot so we can see what part of the engine we are looking at, to me looks like where the gearbox connects so if your getting oil there then thats either crank seal which is a gearbox off job or its brake fluid leaking from slave cylinder which is a gearbox off job

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
A leak between the gearbox bell housing and block would usually indicate the beginnings of and oil leak on the crank seal, input shaft seal or slave bearing, does it smell of engine oil, trany fluid or brake fluid?

See if there are any wet spots further up, could be something as simple as a cam cover leak or the oil filter housing leak, had this on a 1.2 where the filter housing was leaking at the front and would leak down the block and through the bell housing.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Going to have a look tomorrow, the car had the engine replaced but i do not know if the rear seal was replaced or not i know its defo oil because its fresh andcthe engine had fresh oil put into it. I didnt see oil anywhere else but will let u know tomorrow once i get back under it

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
If it's definitely engine oil, I would try a bottle of this in the first instance. A lot cheaper than taking the gearbox out!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does this actually work? I tired one for a coolant leak and it never made a difference lol

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont need to take it for a ride no leak before engine was running then after 5-10,mins of it running there was the leak

·
Premium Member
819 Posts
If it's leaking that fast then it sounds like a filter leak, crank seals weep and drip slowly, if they were so bad it was shooting out oil it would fan it all round bell housing and the whole box is usually wet on the join where it meets the block not only that the clutch would be juddering because of oil contamination.

Not sure what engine you have but judging by the gearbox fitted its a 1.0, 1.2 or 1.4? The oil filter housing is right on the front corner of the block just next to the where the gearbox meets the block the seals go on these and it leaks, either that or the filter it self is the issue perhaps the filter cap o ring has failed.

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Does this actually work? I tired one for a coolant leak and it never made a difference lol
It all depends on where and how bad the leak is. I used a power steering stop leak on a steering rack on my sons Astra, and it stopped the leak & held for two years until we sold the car (about 40,000 miles).
I recommended the engine stop leak on here a while ago, the owner used it and reported that it worked.
As to your coolant leak stopper, it would all depend on what was leaking. Coolant leak stoppers will seal small pin holes in the radiator, for instance, but won't seal a split hose!
No guarantees, but it's worth risking £10 or so to avoid taking the box out, but check the filter housings etc first.
The stop leak works by softening oil seals and making them swell, so if it's just an old seal thats worn & hard, it can work. Obviously, if the seal is split, it won't work!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So i tried to take a better pic but its not easy as its only on axle stands but here it goes

I checked the flywheel in the gap and didnt find any oil i checked round the oil filter and nothing.

i cannot find any oil above either

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Would wynns engine stop leak work?
Probably, it will be the same sort of stuff. When I did the eBay search, the STP came up as cheapest (plus I've used STP oil treatments before, but not the stop leak).

Reactions: Tam hay

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have used wynns products before didnt help so will order stp from ebay. Could it be the previous owner put to much oil in when he done the oil change and its leaking from the sump?

·
Premium Member
2,633 Posts
Haven't you dipped the oil? If it only started leaking after you started the engine, it's more likely to be the crank seal, but anything is possible. Don't expect stop leak to work instantly, you will need to give it time to swell the seal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts