Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided today to do an oil change, I drained the oil, no problem!! When i was taking the oil filter off ( cartridge type!!) the cover cracked in half,
cannot now get the cover off !!?? any suggestions on how to remove this would be much appreciated as at present the car is stuck on the drive with no oil in it !!!! Omega B 2.5 1999

·
***VxON Photographer of the year 2007***
3,052 Posts
Get some Mole Grips around the upper edge of it and loosen it off, should turn with a screwdriver through it also.

yep go to the old fashion way and hammer a screwdriver through the oil filter this will give you the leverage you need to remove it but be warned ya gonna get covered in oil :lmao:

·
Premium Member
2,524 Posts
Damn, beaten to it, was gonna suggest the old screw driver :(

·
Registered
45 Posts
BEWARE On some models only the end cover comes off, and you remove it by turning the raised hexagonal protrusion on the end plate. If true you are going to need a new housing :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing happened to me yesterday. (I have an astra) Rather then the housing cap unscrewing it just broke.
So what you need to do is brake enough of the cap to get to the filter, pull the filter out (in pieces) so you can get to the bolt which holds the housing on. Unscrew it and it will release the housing. You will need to buy a new housing though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same thing happened to me yesterday. (I have an astra) Rather then the housing cap unscrewing it just broke.
So what you need to do is brake enough of the cap to get to the filter, pull the filter out (in pieces) so you can get to the bolt which holds the housing on. Unscrew it and it will release the housing. You will need to buy a new housing though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts