Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably blindingly obvious to someone - but is the oil cooler on a separate fluid circuit to the radiator? ie. is everything interconnected or not?
(I have a Cav V6 btw)

Dave

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
for the v6 engines on cavaliers, calibras, omegas and vectra bs the oil cooler is located in the coolent between the two heads. i suspect your having a problem with them mixing which is not uncommon for these engines. there is a metal plate that covers it so you wont see the cooler.

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've recently got the cav so I haven't had a proper look at the engine, etc. I was just wondered if they were on separate or shared circuits as I want to drain them to put fresh fluids in when I get the time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yea as said above, the oil cooler in the Vauxhall V6 engine is located in the middle between the two heads, you will need to remove the complete inlet manifold, upper and lower sections, and then you will see the two "union" style pipes going into it, remove those, then remove the plate that covers the oil cooler, and you will see the cooler. They are made of steel iirc and they rot badly, the new ones are usually alloy and are less prone to rot

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
Since the oil cooler circuit contains oil and the "normal" radiator contains water (usually plus anti-freeze), the systems are obviously going to be seperate on any vehicle.

The problems occur when the two inadvertantly mix!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Since the oil cooler circuit contains oil and the "normal" radiator contains water (usually plus anti-freeze), the systems are obviously going to be seperate on any vehicle.
Yep, this is the blazingly obvious I had over-looked!! Duh! Sometimes I'm amazed myself with the stupidness of my questions!

Many thanks for all those who replied. I'll be inspecting my OIL cooler (!) next weekend and see what condition it's in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts