Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently bought an old Vectra from 1996 with the X20XEV and automatic.

The changes are a bit harsh(worst at cold), would a oil change make it better ? It has done about 55K miles on the same original oil.

The manual states that a Dexron II oil is to be used. Here in Denmark, I can only find a Dexron II-D - what does the extra "D" stand for ?

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
i just found this from another forum

Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF)

Vauxhall say: Automatic transmission oil change is required every 60,000 miles or six years, but only under ‘extreme’ operating conditions i.e. when towing of when using the car as a taxi.

We say: change fluid anyway at 40,000 to 60,000 miles / six years, regardless of operating conditions.

Also, a change of transmission fluid (and either cleaning or replacing the filter) is the first port of call when dealing with ANY sort of automatic transmission problems – you will be surprised how many boxes were revived by this simple measure after having been written-off by main dealers…

Vauxhall own ATF is quite expensive, you can use any good-brand full-synthetic ATF but it MUST be to Dexron III spec.

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
I'd change the oil as first post of call which is what i done with mine which im having issues with atm (same engine too). Mine has been Tech 2'ed and its confirming the Neutral control solinoid is u/s so no amount of oil is going to fix it lol.

When you drain the oil, you will see about 3 and half litres come out (Total amount in gearbox and torque converter is about 7 litres whch you'll never be able to drain without spliting the autobox from the engine) which should be red or a light brown colour. If its black, smells burnt and/or has big metal particles in the oil you've got trouble on your hands.

As regards to the filter, thats a very involved job and is of a non replaceable, washable type and is only generally looked at when the autobox is out for overhaul
Just to let you know, it will be a AF20 Asin Aw transmission fitted

Finally, whatever you do, DO NOT USE Dextron III as surgested above because it will very quickly ruin the autobox to beyond repair

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hi the 'D' in the Dexron IID is the revision version - they have upgraded the specs and compatibility of the oil over the 35 years its been around.

The IID is what you need
. I note the 'official' GM Dexron II doesn't actually say anything on the bottle except 'Dexron II' which doesn't help, but I don't think you can actually buy any other spec these days than IID - so they just say Dexron II to save confusion.

Most all the 3rd party Dexron II that I have seen do say 'made to IID standard' so look for that (e.g. Fuchs TITAN ATF 3000)

If you buy from GM it will be the original stuff (Dexron is a GM spec) but expensive (£6 a litre here) - if you buy third party it will most probably be fine as that's what independent garages use - I checked recently at a couple.

As per Dave, you should NOT change to Dexron III - it is known to cause issues. Even the links below (from 'experts') mention that Dexron III can replace II, which it was meant to, but many cars cannot take III so you must ignore that advice.

It seems its down to the actual gearbox design in question so there is no one rule for all.

The third link shows the classes of Dexron.

http://www.cartechbooks.com/vstore/showdetl.cfm?st=0&st2=0&st3=0&CATID=21&Product_ID=3578&DID=6

http://www.goarticles.com/cgi-bin/showa.cgi?C=1217651

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/automatic_transmission_fluids.htm

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply's.

I had an idea about it would be a bad idea to use Dexron III, because I had heard it mentioned before... so i'll go to my local parts deaer and ask for the Dexron IID.

My autobox doesn't have a dipstick - is that normal ? I have never seen this before, on an automatic gearbox ?! How do I add the new oil ?

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
We usually get this question for 2.5 V6 autos :lmao:

Ive looked at the where the filter is and the casing has to be split to access it. Ive got a Saab auto box (I put it down to luck this came in, matey brought engine and gearbox to replace his existing units as engine was knocking) at work which is identical to the Vauxhall unit (its complete with a knackered 2.3 NA engine lol) and had a proper look at this. Ive also stolen the solinoids and valve block from it for mine

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi,
I own a 1999 2.5 v6 auto vectra. Lately the gears have been changing slightly rougher. For example, when the car goes into neutral at a red light, it will re-engage into first with a jerk. Also, when cruising at aroud 80kph, the car seems to be going in and out of neutral with a jerk. (I've been told that it could be the fuel cut off switch, apparently when you're cruising and going down a hill it cuts the fuel).
Otherwise, there's no over-revving and normal gear changes are fine.
The auto fluid is a little brown, so I'm going to get this changed. I'm worried there might be other issues. Any ideas?

·
97% Mechanic
6,644 Posts
Do you get a flashing S or 'Automatic Transmission' on the display??

Mine was/still is as i havent fixed it yet, doing the message on the display and when i had it plugged in with a Tech II i had the following results:

Neutral control solinoid, which would be the first problem going from Neutral to drive by itself
C1 clutch slippage which is also caused by the above when re-engaging first from neutral and it feels just like a manual car with a slipping clutch and then suddenly with a bang full drive works lol

The second problem gets me, mine dont do that :lmao:

Does your Eml for the engine turn on?? some engine sensors information are shared with the gearbox ecu

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Davy,
Thanks for the reply. No message on display at the moment. There was an auto-trans message a while ago, when the traction control was activated. The car had other issues at the same time (Ignition coil had broken down causing terrible misfire/shake).

Similar symptoms- first gear engaging with a slight thud/jerk.

·
Geriatric petrol-head
3,012 Posts
Change it twice - with a few thousand miles in between - draining the autobox will only produce about half the nominal amount, the rest stays in the torque converter but will be gradually changed over time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do I need to buy a new gasket, for the gearbox drain plug, or is the old one reusable ?

If I need a new one, does anybody know the diameter size ? I guess I just can go a buy a universal copper one...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.