Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone got any experience/tips/tricks?
Chasing a second hand engine ATM, so may end up not doing the head gasket, but....
I dunno.... just when you think you've got the motor "sorted" it springs a "loverly" suprise like this on you!

·
Premium Member
13,088 Posts
the only hard part is the belt mate,have you ever done a 16v engine before, the v6 just looks more complex with having 2 heads

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not done many heads on anything this modern, done a 2.0 zetec but the rest of the ones I've done were old landrover 4 cylinder petrol engines and a few rover v8s. (nice simple engines!)

·
Respect mah authoritah!
4,994 Posts
where to start really. my advice espically this time of year is do it where you have good light ideally in a garage to work on it at night. i done this job and tbh if like me it was your first v6 its one hell of a task. Get an omega haynes manual if you not got one will give a procedure to disasemble it. I would not buy a 2nd engine it possible as you never know what your going to get and how good it is.

Depending on how far you strip it I would reground the valves in. I would also take this oportunity to do the cambelt and rollers water pump and aux belt tensioner. your need plenty of room for the parts. with removing the bolts i would buy a container with multipule containers in, put your bolts in there and label the container what part they come from makes life easier.

i would also say the heads should be skimmed to make sure as you wont want to go through this again. and to make life easier remove the heads with the exhaust manifolds on, its fiddly but so much easier, buy your need to remove the head shields on them.

·
Premium Member
6,377 Posts
if you are after any gaskets i have a pair of genuine saab gaskets,they are the same as vauxhall gaskets,i dont need to keep them as i no longer have a v6,give me an offer if you are interested

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.