Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously thinking of getting an OBDII engine fault code reader.
I have looked on eBay and there are several to choose from. I am confused about talk of CAN Bus as well as OBDII interface compatibility. Can anyone tell be what it is all about?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The CAN-BUS is a newer standard and covers more things, The OBDII standard was introduced on almost all cars from 1996 onwards in America and Europe and is a standard connector for attaching diagnostic equipment.

If you can get an OBDII reader with CAN-BUS compatibility, it will last you for the next generation of cars too..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks snoopy
I think I will give it a try and buy one.
My engine light is on and off it seems totally at random. Perhaps the code reader will give me a clue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Dongle. I just bought a "opel tech2" code reader off a guy from ebay for 45 quid. Just tried it tonight and works great with my corsa B and laptop over a serial connection (the software is a bit basic and in hungarian but it can read and clear fault codes).

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi,
I have the obd2 u380 and works om my astra 2001 and corsa b, where if found the correct fault and was rectified quickly. the gadget has already paid for itself. It cost me 26 punds from ebay and sent from china.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys
I have been looking on eBay and there seems to be a number of code readers to choose from. I will buy one and give it a try.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi there,
I bought an OBD2 and used it to great effect on my vectra and now my zafira, can highly recommend them.
try on e*ay (item no 230031778294)
hope this helps

Marty

·
Registered
8 Posts
opel tech 2 code reader

code
Hi Dongle. I just bought a "opel tech2" code reader off a guy from ebay for 45 quid. Just tried it tonight and works great with my corsa B and laptop over a serial connection (the software is a bit basic and in hungarian but it can read and clear fault codes).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi I bought the same thing and I cannot get anywhere with it . I copied the software onto my laptop hard drive and acessed opel exe and got a picture on the screen. no instructions nothing. except OBD pin 7 and no device found. I am disappointed and would appreciate any help you can give. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Astra K 1.4t (150) auto SRI NAV
16,840 Posts
I bought an obd 2 code reader for less than £25 off fleabay around six months ago now, similar to this one, item code 230163127008.
I've used it three times on different makes of vehicles & it's worked fine every time. I think obd 2 code readers are must have item for diy car enthusiasts. Mine only reads the basic codes, can't turn off airbag lights etc. I'm happy with that though.

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
Get the one from these people, i have it and can highly recommend it. It is english, from an english shop, so if you have any probs you can give them a ring and it will be sorted straight away, the staff are really helpfull and reply to emails quickly, also its on offer at the mo £25.50. Oh yeah and its EOBD, OBD2, and CAN-BUS compatible, (so basically all variations)

http://www.ajdirect.co.uk/a30-eobd-obd2-can-bus-diagnostic-code-reader-scanner-p-184.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts