Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi any one got a UIF TECH autoscanner (its not listed on the uiftech site and they do not return emails ) it is not clear in the hand book how to read. It seems to work when pluged in with the ignition off counts 1 to 3 pauses then 4 to 5 and comes up E when the ignition is on it only counts 1 to 3 then displays a row of 4 dashes? any one any idea what this is telling me

·
Premium Member
13,720 Posts
I have an OBD 2 code reader & it works. Have used it on 3 different types
of petrol engined cars. You plug it in to the OBD port, it counts 1 - 4 then gives a fault code reading, that's if there's fault present. I have also tried it when there's no ECU light present & it comes up with 4 dashes.

I do also know that my reader doesn't work with diesel engined cars.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boroboy Cheers it seems the UIF tech I have seems to read the fault code on my diesel as when it came back from the dealer and had a ERG code up whitch they told me about and said it would cost me 240 quid to put right the put the code on the invoice when I stuck the reader in it did not show the P part of the code but the code it displayed tied up with the EGR but what I would like to find out is the UIF TECH I have counts 1 to 3 pauses then 4 to 5 does the ignition need to be on or are rge code allways present at the port?

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
with the majority of scanners, the engine needs to be on/running. again the majorty of the cheaper scanners dont display the "P" part of the code, as this is irrelevant, so a faulty EGR Valve in the book shows P0400, on your scanner it would display 0400. But if there was no code pending or stored it would display "- - - -". As for the "E" your getting when the ingintion is off, "E" = Error, i.e your not doing it right (need engine on).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tavimage any idea why it counts or what its doing when its counting?.

It will count 1 to 3 then pause 4 and 5 with ign off but only 1 to 3 with the ign on as you said it will not display the P, with ign on it counts 1. 2. 3 displays code if fault is present or row of 4 dashes if no fault then UIF TECH and repeat's it self on the fourth time clears the codes down

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
when its counting its letting you that when its scanning the ecu for fault codes, just like when you start windows you see the loading bar scrolling (its basically to let you know that its actually doing something). the 1-2-3-4 is just the method they use as its a 4 digit display, the UIF part is just advertisment for there model. Im guessing it wasnt an expensive model (like the snap on one at £2,500 ish). this is because with the expensive ones they read the fault codes then give you various options like what you want to do with the fault code, i.e delete etc. with the cheaper models you have to scan the codes 4 times to delete them or something similar.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are right its cost was 100th of a snap-on code reader. it was £25 UK price However My cousins cross the pond on a regular basis from San Fransisco and got it from over there for $12.99 same identical item, when I bought a radar dector several years ago £199.00 in the UK $129.00 USA same model same everthing except price good old rip off Britain

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
not a problem with the price of it, it just hasnt got all the bells and whistles on it. but for the home diy car person they are fine, as long as it reads the codes, tells you what they are and clears them, thats all you need to do. i only paid £30 for mine from AJ Direct, and its one of the best/most usefull tools i have brought since my 1st socket set. use it once and its paid for its-self twice over, use it twice and your laughing:D

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tavimage like you say for the price it is a usefull tool, I found the TIS 2000 program (£5 of ebay) cuts the Main dealer bill when you shoot holes in their billed time allowance for jobs. I have also found it is cheaper to ask them to quote to do the service work as per the VX handbook rather than use the fixed price service menu normally displayed over service reception. Perhaps next I start to buy genuine parts of Ebay and ask the main dealer just to quote for labour to fit

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tavimage
forgot to say in the above list that registering for VxON is also a bonus and a wise move
Graham

·
Premium Member
1,590 Posts
absolutely, the people on here have helped me out of a few sticky situations before, its a great forum. Why not go the full hog and become a registered club member as i did, its only £15 a year, and the benefits are well worth it, the savings that can be made are brilliant, especially at halfords. For little more than £1 a month you would be a fool not too.:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts