Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me exactly what I will need to transplant a 2l 16 engine into a Nova, will probably be quite a low spec base car, maybe an SR/SRi.

Obviously I need the car, and the engine, will be a C20XE with F20 or C20LET with F28.

I have found engine conversion kits at LMF.
Will this be everything needed to safely make the conversion?

I know the chassis will need to have welding done to strengthen it and a set of brakes from the donor car.

I'm just trying to find out everything I will need so I can price it up and ultimately make a decision on which engine to go for, and even whether the whole project is viable!

Thanks in advance.

·
Fat stig!!!
1,442 Posts
I've been told they have the lot but i'm not sure you prob only need the engine mounts and the aniroll bars extensions to clear the maniflod! if you were putting the Xe in not to sure about the wireind coz i cheated and run mine on carbs and dizzy which is simple! if your handy you will be able to make a plate for the alternator pully in the chassie leg coz they will touch when the engine is in! apart from that stick a set of cavy astra 2.0 calippers and some groved discs and you should'nt be far away. another thing is fuel pumps you might need and old tank with no pump inside dependind on what you run your motor on??? i would stick the pump on off the XE if thats what you decide but depending on how old the car is for the job it might be ok hope this helps!!

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Helps a lot, thanks.

Didn't think of the fuel pump... I'll run it on optimax as it won't be out much!

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
id say not to go for the kit from LMF the brakes, air filter etc could be got for cheaper elsewhere,
mainly just the mounts i would have thought would be different,

it cant be too hard, theres alot of XE novas about now

good luck with it, im planning a XE/LET nova when i have space/funds :up:

·
Sexy Saloon
1,548 Posts
If running injection you need an Sri/gte/gsi fuel tank. The alternator prob can be over come by also some gentle tapping with a hammer.

·
VXON's middle-aged lesbian.
28,788 Posts
Dippy said:
The alternator prob can be over come by also some gentle tapping with a hammer.
Mine bumped and grinded my inner wing pretty bloody hard in left hand turns when the power was on. If I get another, I'd definitely go to the trouble of fabricating something proper (cut-out/recess box etc).

As for car spec, whack it in a beaten up 1.2 L ;)

·
Sexy Saloon
1,548 Posts
Andy R said:
id say not to go for the kit from LMF the brakes, air filter etc could be got for cheaper elsewhere,
mainly just the mounts i would have thought would be different,

it cant be too hard, theres alot of XE novas about now

good luck with it, im planning a XE/LET nova when i have space/funds :up:
I thought the V6 brake upgrade from them was good valve, its all genuine vauxhall.

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dan Gliballs said:
As for car spec, whack it in a beaten up 1.2 L ;)
True sleeper style, keeps the weight down 2! :Cool2:

Completely stock too! The only thing I will do is get some 15s for it, so there's a decent amount of rubber on the floor, and maybe a "subtle" exhaust! :lmao:

As for the conversion kits... I'm lazy so I will want it all to come in one box, no dicking about looking for bits, and they seem to come with a nice manual and wiring diagram too! :p

·
28,788 Posts
A rotten/MOT failure Astra GTE 16v is what you really want.

Novas have an inch narrower track though, so as far as driveshafts go, you'll need to mate some Nova outers to some F20 inners (or pay £225 and get them made up new from Just Novas & Corsas in Nottingham).

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan Gliballs said:
* A rotten/MOT failure Astra GTE 16v is what you really want.

** Novas have an inch narrower track though, so as far as driveshafts go, you'll need to mate some Nova outers to some F20 inners (or pay £225 and get them made up new from Just Novas & Corsas in Nottingham).
* One in grey perhaps? ;)

** How hard's the cheap one (ie F20 in CVs to Nova outers)?

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
rallyman said:
If your after any cheap conversion parts give me a shout as i stock almost everything you need to put a 2.0 xe/let in a nova or corsa at very competitive prices.

chris.
Cheers mate, I'll bear that in mind when we're seriously pricing things up! :Cool2:

·
Floater
3,596 Posts
Is it necessary to seam weld the engine bay or just use one of those platng kits?

what sort of cost woul dit be to get some one to install a kit?

·
Registered
388 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hearrd bad things about Regal and they're too far if I have to go and give them some earache.
LMF seem more reasonably priced as u get a couple more bits for your £400-odd!

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
28,788 Posts
TheMorphiuz said:
Suspension: I'm thinking one of the kits from Courtenay as they actually consider a converted Nova seperately, they're a few miles up the road when I go to Norfolk so I could pay them a visit...
http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/default.htm?page=55
Yeah, I had the Courtenay '2.0 16v conversion' springs on mine,..........higher poundage up front as the engine was 43KG heavier than the 1.2 that came out ;)

·
Premium Member
10,875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dan Gliballs said:
Yeah, I had the Courtenay '2.0 16v conversion' springs on mine,..........higher poundage up front as the engine was 43KG heavier than the 1.2 that came out ;)
Just the front springs listed at £56 for a pair of Clubman ones?

·
28,788 Posts
TheMorphiuz said:
Just the front springs listed at £56 for a pair of Clubman ones?
Buy a matched set of 4 for about £110 :Cool2:

The Premium kit is the one to go for though (I have one on the Astra).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts