Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok some of you have probably heard of the Nissan 300ZX Fairlady, but it came in two forms. I am the proud owner of the original 300ZX also known as the Z31

Now she is a 3.0 Litre V6 Turbocharged heffa. Sporting a 5 speed Borg Warner T5 gearbox (same as the Sierra Cosworth). Good for 247 bhp and a top end of 145 mph. Not bad for something 22 years old. Now she has been stood around for the last year awaiting some work done on her. Now with nothing better to do I thought "Hey its starting to get really cold, wet and windy outside ... lets get out there and get her back on the road in time for summer.

Ok its not a big and impressive thing but I have always looked at various show cars and envied the just rolled out of the showroom look they have. Now I don't ever think I will get everything on my Zed looking like that but due to one or two issues I thought to myself I now have the perfect opprtunity to at least make a good start to getting there.

Now the Exhaust manifold cracked sometime ago and I know the rocker head on that side (passenger) has a snapped stud in at least one hole and one of the others is badly cross-threaded. A thought occured to me that seeing as I have to remove the engine ideally to make a proper job of repairing it I also have the opportunity to get at least the engine and gearbox a new lease of life. Anyway after sourcing a hoist off a friend of mine and stand I set about removing the enigine and stripping it.

Here is what I started with:

As you can see its pretty filthy under there and plenty of rusty parts, dust, dirt, leaves, etc etc. Armed with a trusty can of WD40 a box full of tools and a complete disregard for personal safety I went about taking off pipes, flanges, bolts, belts etc and managed to get the engine out.

Now this also left me with a veritable huge pile of bits all over my garage floor

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now for some pictures of the bits removed

and more

and more

and even more

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the cleaning starts

Inlet manifold before

Inlet manifold after

Not much difference I know from the photo's, but its amazing to see the difference in the flesh.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now for some shots of the engine as it stands

Drivers side

Passenger side

And the top

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All pretty dirty and some of those bits have been wiped clean already from 22 years of oil and grime. Big game plan is to strip the engine completely and replace all the gaskets. Get everything all cleaned and painted to give a showroom like appearance. I was mainly thinking the main block and gearbox in black. Rocker heads in silver (leave as is probably) and the rocker covers in a nice contrasting red (as the should be). The other bits in silver with red highlights (i.e. intake collector in silver, cover plate revamped with red/silver etc etc.)

After that I plan to remove all the bits around the engine bay one by one and give it all a thorough clean. The paint is pretty good in there so a bloody good clean should do the trick. Replace all the wiring shrouds with nice new stuff (cheap replacement) and cleaning all the components back to new condition. Yup a lot of cleaning needed but the end result should be well worth it.

Other ideas I have had was to replace all the brake lines while big bulky drivetrain stuff is out of the way. Underseal all over the place. Oh and patch up the roof lining as its still hanging down from when I bought it lol.

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
Looking ok mate, but you'll have Blotto swapping recipes now.
Do you still have the frontera?

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah I got rid of the fronty and got a Cav V6 instead. I do miss the battle wagon though. I dunno what I will do in the long run. One plan is to get this up and running and then replacing the cav with another Frontera. Either way I need to get this beast back on the road again.

I think Blotto has the Z32 which is the later version of mine with a twin turbo. Completely different car apart from the name. I think also Shiraff might have a vested interest in the 300ZX name.

I heard a rumour that these cars are als down there is Oz. Keep and eye out ;)

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not much progress due to having to pop out, but I did get a helping hand at least from a keen friend who wants to know more about cars, so I got her cleaning :D

Getting In:

Before:

After:

Dirty hands lol:

And after all that, all is needed is a nice coat of paint to make it look all shiney and new looking.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While this was happening I attacked various bits and pieces that needed scrubbing clean ready for more paint. From the first picture in the first post you could probably see that a lot of the gubbins were caked in dirt, grime, muck, and rust. Well after attacking them with a wire wheel I ended up with these

Thermostat outlet before

After

Couldn't believe the amount of muck that was inside that pipe. All full of nasty, crusty, rusty [email protected] Blasted it through with carb cleaner as well to make sure it was all free of rubbish so I don't have it pumping around the engine when it all goes back together.

Then there was the wierd pipe that bolts onto the front of the engine that sits behind the auxilary belts, the one which has the two flat areas on it. Now before I started it was in a very bad way as you can possibly tell from the very first engine bay shot. Well with a lot of determination I got it to this state, and will be painting it up to hopefully stop it from returning to the state it was in

Finally there was the metal pipe that bolts onto the front of the turbo and goes to the airflow meter. This is usually black. Mine was a mixture of black, rust and oil. Anyways I ended up with this

Much better and again ready for a coat of paint. Not much done as said but rewarding none the less. One thing I did also get done was to get five out of the six flywheel bolts undone. However the last proved to be a real sod and no matter how careful I was it just rounded off. I will have to see if I can drill it out tomorrow. Got some stud extractors so will play it real careful with them. I can always replace the bolt with one off the engine I bought off ebay recently.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thats why there is a pile of wood leaning up against the garage wall. I have shelves with all the bolts neatly piled and labelled though :D

·
Premium Member
3,121 Posts
I heard a rumour that these cars are als down there is Oz. Keep and eye out ;)
They are about, but mainly see them disappearing in my rear view mirror.
Some Older cars are dearer than newer ones now, and getting parts is the main problem,but there are scrappies everywhere compared to Cambridge.
TBH there isn't a huge difference in cars here to there, see loads of vectras B & C's,Fronteras, rovers, jags,bmw's etc etc

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are about, but mainly see them disappearing in my rear view mirror.
Some Older cars are dearer than newer ones now, and getting parts is the main problem,but there are scrappies everywhere compared to Cambridge.
TBH there isn't a huge difference in cars here to there, see loads of vectras B & C's,Fronteras, rovers, jags,bmw's etc etc
Lol ... so what you got now then ... let me guess a Holden with a V8 :D

·
Vxon's car whore
12,318 Posts
If i am really honest, i would have got a z31 because as someone mentioned to me yesterday, the z32 is a bit of a behemouth around side streets (not sure about the z31 as i have only seen pics) and as mine is a ph2, im happy as i got gadgets lol.
Say one thing though, i wish my engine bay was as easy to work on, would love a few more inches space lol.
Kev, not even entertaining the idea of swaps, i have mot'd and taxed mine and i am still chuckling like a kid everytime i take her out :)
Keep the pics coming :)

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have seen the bay of a Z32. You can tell it was designed by the japs with their little hands. To be honest the Z31 turbo's boasted quite a few of the toys of the Z32. Cruise control, air-con, targa roof, electric windows. About the only difference I could tell was the Z32 had remote central locking, the Z31 needs the key ... but it can be converted. The Z31 is actually quite nimble around the streets. I don't find it difficult at all. You have to watch the throttle a bit. Quite easy to floor it and find your ar$e end overtaking the front in the wet.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First off an apology to Uglymonkey. I had noticed that when copying the thread from another forum I had mentioned a friend had leant me the engine hoist and stand. It was in fact our dearly beloved Uglymonkey who had done this. So apologies for not mentioning you directly sir, and many many thanks for the loan. :Cool2:

Ok its been a couple of days, but mainly productive. First off was to get the bay cleaned and read for a coat of paint. Fortunatly my cheap labour was up to the task and managed to get her hands in all the little nooks and cranny's. Anyway I ended up with this facing me

and this

Anyways after a coat of primer we are looking like this

and this

Then the top coat

and this

Now I know there are a lot of areas that need attention such as the chassis legs, but they are going to be attacked later. Also the cable run along the top of the bulkhead, but I wanted to concentrate on all the areas I cannot get to when the engine is in place. I decieded to leave the cable trunking on at the moment as I am going to replace them anyway. I am no bodywork expert (pretty poor in fact) but I was chuffed to bits with the results so far. There is also the area around the master cylider to do as well but that can be looked at later when I have done other things.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Next task was the gearbox. Now as you might of noticed I managed to get it out (with the help of my brothers). This also gave me an opportunity to get under into the tunnel and scrap all the old underseal off and give it a fresh coat. God that stuff is horrible horrible horrible to work with ... and I have changed babies nappies, dunno which is worse.

Now it was very very grubby and needed a bloody good clean to start with.

After attacking it with a wire brush I ended up with this

The problem I now face is that it looks great as is all shiney silver. I was going to paint it black but all things considered I think I will leave it as is

Now it doesn't seem much but all this takes time especially when you break down while getting new tools etc ... bloody radiator hose ... bloody Cavaliers. Also managed to get some of the brackets that hold various bits on painted as well so they are ready to be put back in.

Another result was to get the rounded flywheel bolt out. Eventually ended up grinding the faces off a little so I could hammer a 13mm ring spanner onto it then undo it that way. Cannot get the head of the bolt out of the spanner but I seem to have several 13mm spanners anyway and they aren't used often. Prefer to lose a spanner than have a bolt stuck in the flywheel.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
rock n roll ... no offence taken about the ref - could tell it was a cut n paste from another forum! :D
Cheers buddy. You will have to pop over if you have time to see what has been done.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.