Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
New here so please be gentle with me :)
Bit of a long shot maybe but the wife’s car has died.
It’s a 2007 1.3cdti
She complained that the car was struggling to run and start so I started delving in.
I first of all did a scan with a bluepoint microscan and it threw up an egr fault.
EGR was stuck so removed the solenoid and managed to free up the valve.
Still wouldn’t start, so changed the diesel filter and bled it, great the car started and then something went pop and it died straight away and wouldn’t crank.

Traced this to the 10 amp fuse for the ECU
Took the ecu out as it had been sat in water, which I now know is a common fault and took to an ECU repairer.
He opened it up and noted slight water ingress and damage to injector chips 1 and 4 and also a dodgy component that caused the 10 amp fuse to blow.
All repaired and refitted to the car, changed the fuse car now cranks but still won’t start.
Recovered by the RAC to a local garage who have confirmed the fuel pumps to be fine.
They stated that the injectors are live all the time not just when cranking and that there is also a stored fault with the fuel pressure regulator but also suggest the ecu is faulty.

I’m considering getting the car sent back home as I can’t afford them to change sensors etc willy nilly and not guarantee it will solve my problem.
Going by my long winded post is there anything you guys would suggest I try?

Many thanks.
Graham.

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
A new ecu,..once these have had water ingress it never really ends well, the ecu is basically scrap, its a multi layer board so some damage will be hidden from view.
ECU wise you have 2 choices, go down the secondhand route or purchase a new one and have it programmed to your car.

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
Yeah i suppose he would, i have replaced about 20 of this ecu for this very reason, some have been sent for repair some not but if you get any electrical circuit board submerged in water then theirs a high probability it aint going to repair.
If your getting codes for the fuel pressure reg or sensor then the ecu is not working correctly, has the garage looked at live data to see if the voltage for the sensor is stable, does it even record a reading,..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t know the answer to that I’m afraid at the moment, I will find out more when I ask them to drop it back to me. Gutted if I’m honest as everything pointed to a faulty ecu and I thought I was doing the right thing

·
Premium Member
14,436 Posts
I would let him have them and see what he finds, i still think your flogging a dead horse and will need to replace the ecu,... out of interest how does he 'test' the ecu, does he program it to a car he has and run it up to make sure everything's ok,... i suspect not,,..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Right quick update, had a replacement ecu from just vaux it, car fired up straight away so took it for a test drive. When the car hits 3k it goes into limp mode and won’t rev past that. Spanner light comes on, ignition off then on again and spanner light goes away, go back to 3k and limp mode again.
Op com gave me 5 fault codes after my short journey. These clear fine. Not driven since clearing, but any thoughts?
Thanks.
Graham.

·
13,674 Posts
Were they all "Not Present" codes?

Reactions: oberlisc and andy_v

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Now there’s a thought it’s been stood for 2 months broken, going to try a spray egr cleaner as that was faulty prior to initial ecu dying but I managed to get it freed up, will see if I can access the turbo

1 - 20 of 24 Posts