Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
When I got out of the car after the motorway commute today I realised there was a very "clicky" sound coming from my car! Given that the engine was off and it was just cooling down, I'm presuming this is the radiator fan.

My workshop manual I bought from ebay a year or so ago seems to have stopped working so I've no idea about how to go about diagnosing or fixing this.

Is it possible there's just something stuck in my fan or perhaps it's dislodged? (I did go over a worryingly tough and large piece of litter on the motorway the other day). Or am I going to need a new one, and if so, how much is it gonna set me back, because I'm on a shoestring as it is!

Cheers :)

Edit: sorry, it's a Vectra-B 1.8 estate, 1998.

·
Registered
81 Posts
hi m8 try gettin a cable tie nd cable tieing the power steering coolin pipes to the plastic mesh on front bumper had this on old veccy off mine, turned out jus 2 be tht nd was a broken clip, neva did change clip if u use black cable tie ull never see it

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers dan - it does sound like it could just be something loose etc, here's hoping, eh!

Would you be able to give me a bit more detail...? Without the service manual I'm a bit lost...!

P.S. It's unlikely to knacker my car though... right?! I mean, as long as I keep an eye on the engine temperature until it's sorted...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got it... turn the engine on, put my finger in the fan - cheers mate! ;)

I'm hoping I don't need to replace the fan because I presume the bumper has to come off for that? And only last month I re-fixed my bumper (which had a tendency to come off at the corners) with araldite... d'oh.

·
Registered
81 Posts
just behind the lower mesh on your front bumper you will see 2 small pipes running frm one side to the other, on mine it was these rubbing on the fan, if you pull these clear of the fan by attatching to the mesh on front bumper then spin the fan by hand to make sure it clears the cable ties, its usually the bracket which secure these pipes to the left hand side of the front fan which break, it is easily done with bumper still in place, takes 2 mins nd costs pennys, failing that check for anything obvious chaving on both fans by removing the top grill to be able to see clearly dwn the front fan

·
Registered
81 Posts
if left it will eventually wear out atleast 1 fan blade poss causing it to snapp off, min costing u a new fan or it could even puncture radiator

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.