Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I popped up the tip then parked up. About 5 minutes later i went back out and found I had no ignition lights. In fact the only light that comes on is the airbag warning light, nothing else lights up at all. Engine turns over but will not start.
The 8 big fuses under the scuttle all have 12V both sides of them.
I have also checked the following fuses which are all fine:

1. Central Control Unit
14. Engine Control
15. E gine Control Unit
26. Ignition System Engine Electronics
31. Engine Control

The electric windows still work so ignition switch itself should be fine.

So what do I check next?

Going to go back out to see what works and what doesn't to see if it narrows it down to a circuit or relay.

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like nothing controlled by the second ignition switch position is working.
I have no indicators, wipers or reversing lights.

Reactions: oberlisc

·
Worn Out Member
6,417 Posts
You're going to have to pull the ign switch off and check it's not breaking up inside and also that the barrel pin that drives it is still intact.
here's the wiring/fuse setup if you want to check some more fuses

Attachments

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's one of those weekends!
Got only a few basic tools but should be able to get the shrouds off as long as I can find some Torx bits.
Is the switch part just clipped onto the ignition barrel?
Not had any issues with the ignition previously besides one single occasion 4 years ago when the radio stayed on when I took the key out and the barrel stuck. Never did it again.
Hopefully it will be something straightforward.

·
Worn Out Member
6,417 Posts
It's one of those weekends!

Is the switch part just clipped onto the ignition barrel?
yes,it's held to the column with two plastic clips you press in to release,it's a bit fiddly and very easy to break
part number 9115863 if you want to look at a pic on ebay

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haynes has some reasonable photos.
Going to take a look tomorrow and do some quick wiring checks. Luckily I have my multimeter with me.
If the switch is stuffed then I'll call the RAC to get the car back home so I can sort it out in the week.

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haynes contradicts itself (how unusual :confused:).

Can I just pop off the plastic switch assembly without taking the ignition barrel out? Or does the barrel have to be removed first?

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Found the answer.

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep.
Hoping it is a failed switch and not a wiring fault.
If I can get it off tomorrow I will know for sure.

·
Registered
95 Posts
whilst reading/clearing codes with the official bmw software on my laptop for my 535d DIS/INPA ,i encountered something similar
IE car turns over but NO start.
i had exited the software virtual machine incorrectly .,even after using the software dozens of times previously.
for me it was a case of reconnecting the laptop ,getting back in to where i was ,then coming out correctly and closing the software down.
i got a bit of a scare really lol
however it was an easy fix.
could be same for you, a bit of a coincidence that you were connecting diagnostic/(is it also a programmer???} equipment , then this issue

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ignition switch out and is fine.

Ignition switch off. Feels fine but I'm not completely sure what I should be getting where. I think I should have continuity between pin 3 (W) and pin 5 (15) when it is turned to position 2, but I don't. If I'm reading the diagram correctly that confirms the ignition switch has failed then?

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not sure how to put the key barrel back in. YouTube videos say to press something in the bottom of the hole it goes into and press downwards. Does downwards mean in the same direction the key is pushed in? Or does it mean move something sideways in that hole so you are moving it towards the driver's seat?

Very hard to take a decent picture but I can see something in there.

Reactions: Fred Bassett

·
p0170
542 Posts
Refer to your diagram set to voltage back probe ignition switch connector each wire at a time with ignition on and cranking can we see the diagram

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Diagram:

Key out I have connection between 2 (30) and 3 (W).
Position 1 is the same.
Position 2 I have 2 and 3 still connected and also pin 1 (50) and pin 4 (which does not have a wire going to it).
I think I should be seeing pin 2 (30) and pin 5 (15) when in position 2.

Wiring diagram is available from Valer's reply higher up the thread.

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Key out 0 volts.
Key in but not turned also 0 volts at pin 2.

·
13,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've now mistakenly taken the key out of the barrel and when I put it back and try and turn it the barrel won't turn. How do I get it back to position 1?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts