Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the latest build of the Astra Sportive which is still the G model. Bleedin' cheapskates have fitted the bottom range vdo cd radio without the Info display hookup or steering controls which has been standard for some years..... I pulled the head unit out to check what wiring is included, and all they've run is the standard ISO connectors for power and speakers. The dash display just returns date and time (but it is the full feature module). My question is this..... Can i get a better CD radio and patch it into the display AND if i were to get the appropriate steering wheel, could I run the controls as before???? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
a 2006 astra G? didnt know they still made them?

what stereo is it you have? is the the CDR500? that is the standard for the astras, which should have the display and steering controls, tbh, i cant imagine them not wireing this up as it was standard from the start on astras,

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
trancemaster said:
i got one like this; http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-VDO-CD-MP3-Radio-2604-iPod-ready-SD-Cardreader_W0QQitemZ5859055183QQcategoryZ75324QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
just pluged in the edi, clipped the remote wire and joined it to the remote wire on the head unit and presto everything on the head unit shows on the MFD on the dash
99& of new headunits can be made to use the steering wheel controls and display just need an adapter that costs about £30, just plug the loom from the stero into the adapter and it all works,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was actually built in November and i bought it pre registered with only 7 miles on it,
I spoke to vauxhall and they told me that since vdo don't make the cdr500 anymore they fitted an 'alternative' which is the vdo cd413. No display output, no remote input!. So they said that they ommited the associated wiring. Does anyone know if the display has a socket dedicated to the radio?....one way or another i want to get a new wheel and the display doing something useful!

I have pulled out the head unit and can see no wires heading toward the display. And it's a bog standard steering wheel.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
nickthesafe said:
I have pulled out the head unit and can see no wires heading toward the display. And it's a bog standard steering wheel.
so the steering wheel doesnt have the switches on it either?

to be honest, if it doesnt, wireing up the switches getting a new headunit etc probably wont be worth the hassel,

as far as i can remember, for the display and controls there should be another loom of wires, like the one that plugs into the stereo, i have a kenwood HU which has the normal loom out the back which plugs into an "autoleads" adapter which then splits into 3 different conectors, one for the usual stereo stuff, one for the display and one for the steering wheel controls,

cant be much more help than that im afraid,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i figured it could be a sod of a job!. Thanks anyways. Still, the email i got from vauxhall technical proved what a bunch of penny pinching fibbers they are! because VDO do make a suitable alternative to the cdr500, they just chose to go cheap and omit the necessary wiring....probably to help recover the cost of the ABS which is standard now but wasn't on earlier sportive vans. Suppose i'll just have to treat myself to a decent 'stand alone' head unit instead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts