Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie saying hi (+ car and engine pics now too)

Hello.

Thought i would sign up as i own a vauxhall nova and it is well quick man init!

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
Welcome squire.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Hello and welcome :Cool2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Atlantean said:
Welcome to VxON!

You have a mid engined nova then?

Guilty as charged.

Although not currently on the road, i took it off the road to convert it from an XE to a LET + F28 and havent got round to finishing it off yet.

Hoping to have it done this summer though, should be starting work on it in May again hopefully.

And then next year ive got a "fairly powerful" LET to swap into it. :bananasmi

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Old XE engine in it:

Its currently got a "temporary" LET running approx 400bhp on gas, (slightly better spec than the one we un in my mates astra at TOTB last year) but ive got a much more powerful one to swap in, couple of random engine pictures and the spec here for the new engine, its not quite finished yet though, still waiting for some custom manifolds to be made and then it needs to go on the dyno.

New engine spec:

Steel motorsport crank
Steel rods
Forged low comp pistons (8.2:1)
Hotter (than calibra turbo std) cams, on vernier pulleys
Double valve springs
Solid valve caps
Garrett GT35R
Autronic SM2 management
Tubular manifold
Block has been destressed by hand by me with files and die grinder
Line bored, then the bottom skimmed referenced to the bearing tunnel then the block top skimmed relative to that, so that when it was bored i could guarentee it was exactly perpendicular to the crank
Head has:
21-4n steel waisted stem inlets (+1mm oversive)
21-4n steel exhausts (+1mm oversive)
ported to my specs with nitrous use in mind
Wizards of nos nitrous kit with maximiser controller

Random pics of new engine:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Manifold i was using before, but it wont fit the new turbo so now getting another one made that will:

New turbo:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah its not all that normal anymore i guess.

To be perfectly honest the engine ive built was really intended for my mini, but i just got carried away and there is no point trying to put well over 500bhp down through the front wheels of a mini, so ive gone back to a 300bhp engine (TB'd XE + nitrous) for that and decided to use the LET in the nova instead where it has more grip.

Most power ive driven the nova with so far is 268bhp on an Xe+nitrous and that had no traction problems at all, i could give it full throttle in 1st once rolling and the tyres dont even chirp, so im fairly hopefull it will be quite useable when finished.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thats a very impressive bit of kit you've got there:Cool2:

What sort of power are you hoping to get out of it once complete?

·
Up For The Craic
11,050 Posts
chip said:
Most power ive driven the nova with so far is 268bhp on an Xe+nitrous and that had no traction problems at all, i could give it full throttle in 1st once rolling and the tyres dont even chirp, so im fairly hopefull it will be quite useable when finished.
Must have had some good rubber under it!

·
Plastic Fantastic
2,424 Posts
Good show!
Just one question...where does the shopping go? heh :lmao:
Just kiddin, thats a cracker of a nova...soon to be a monster of a nova! :grrr

Welcome to the site too:Cool2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
patty said:
Thats a very impressive bit of kit you've got there:Cool2:

What sort of power are you hoping to get out of it once complete?

Well its hard to put an exact figure on it as im not really aware of any other LET engines of a particularly similar spec, this is all things done by me to my own specs based on knowledge of other engines.

Its going to be somewhere between 500 and 600bhp without nitrous but i dont know exactly where till it gets on the dyno.

I'll be pretty dissapointed if its nearer to 500 than 600 though to be honest, so i guess im hoping for 550bhp+

If its only 500 or so though i will use the nitrous as a power adder at the top end rather than just as antilag like i was going to do, so either way its going to make the best part of 600 one way or the other!

(not sure how long for though!)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Atlantean said:
Must have had some good rubber under it!

No, very average at the moment, its just the weight distribution to begin with and the fact that weight transfers onto the driven wheels when it accelerates that gives it such awesome grip.

I should think with road legal slicks i would have more than enough grip to break CV joints in first sadly, which will limit the 60ft times i can get from it!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
lawman36 said:
Good show!
Just one question...where does the shopping go? heh :lmao:
Just kiddin, thats a cracker of a nova...soon to be a monster of a nova! :grrr

Welcome to the site too:Cool2:

In one of my other cars normally, although there is some room behind the seats, we did a cruise in beligum in it a few years ago and managed to get plenty of duty free in it, lol

·
Registered
102 Posts
Where abouts in the South West are you?

I think you should come to a local meet with this awsome machine, so we can have a good old butchers.....

·
Plastic Fantastic
2,424 Posts
chip said:
In one of my other cars normally, although there is some room behind the seats, we did a cruise in beligum in it a few years ago and managed to get plenty of duty free in it, lol
...well that's okay then :lmao:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts