Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, hi everybody, I'm new to this forum having just purchased my new car today! I've bought a 1999 2ltr Gls estate with a dual fuel conversion and one tiny problem, a knackered engine! (the price was right and I'm Scottish, that's my excuse anyway :lmao: ) The engine is currently out of the car and in bits so I'm looking at putting in a replacement. I believe that this car would have the later 2ltr 16 valve, will the earlier one still fit okay? Failing that, was the same engine used in any of the rest of the Vauxhall fleet - Vectra etc?? The chap I bought the car from had bought another engine but it wouldn't fit, something to do with the sump not being a two piece and not interchangable. I'm reckoning that he hasn't been sold the proper engine. Any advice on what engine I should go for greatfully recieved.

Many thanks, Jim

·
Registered
289 Posts
First off, hi everybody, I'm new to this forum having just purchased my new car today! I've bought a 1999 2ltr Gls estate with a dual fuel conversion and one tiny problem, a knackered engine! (the price was right and I'm Scottish, that's my excuse anyway :lmao: ) The engine is currently out of the car and in bits so I'm looking at putting in a replacement. I believe that this car would have the later 2ltr 16 valve, will the earlier one still fit okay? Failing that, was the same engine used in any of the rest of the Vauxhall fleet - Vectra etc?? The chap I bought the car from had bought another engine but it wouldn't fit, something to do with the sump not being a two piece and not interchangable. I'm reckoning that he hasn't been sold the proper engine. Any advice on what engine I should go for greatfully recieved.

Many thanks, Jim
Hello Jim and Welcome to VxON,

How unlucky was that, and it had the gas conversion (which i have no clue about) all i can tell you Jim is that your engine or the engine that came with the car should be a X20XEV it only has one sump, unfortuanalty i can not give any advice if you need to adapt your gas stuff to a standard engine or how hard it will be but a few people on here know a lot about it, out of interest, what happend to the engine, its not often these engines go bang. good luck with your engine swap.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe that the engine was run low on oil or water (or both!) and had a suspected head gasket failure. They reckoned that there was also a knocking noise from the bottom end too. The head has been taken off and the bits are split between the boot of the car and the owners workshop so god knows if anything is missing, that's why I think that replacement might be the safer option.
With regards to the lpg, it shouldn't be a problem to swap over as it should only be related to the inlet manifold. I'll certainly let you know how I get on with it when I make a start after I collect the car on Sunday ,

kind regards, Jim

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Howdoo Jim. Welcome. Glad to see another Fifer, 'cos we are sadly lacking in the Jock department here at the moment!!

Not so sure about the LPG stuff, but there are a few folks who do know such things and should be along sometime to help.

If you want to send a PM with a contact number, we can have a blether and see about getting it sorted.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts