Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok its not a Vauxhall, but does share many many GM components including the Frontera 2.8 Turbo Diesel. She is an import model (imported 1999) and features a rare high-roof option that was only available in the Japanese market which kind of makes her look like a Discovery. Pull quite nicely due to a rather torquey 2.8 Turbo Diesel and quite a light chassis considering its size (bigger than a Frontera LWB). After doing about 300 miles so far including both m'way and backroads she handles and drives quite nicely. Sure footed around corners and very comfy on a long haul.

Anyway enough of the rambling here are some pictures:

Oh and the best thing was she didn't cost me a bean. Free to me :D

·
8v Power!
10,748 Posts
nice one.

·
Foldy roll
2001 Vauxhall Vectra SRi150 2.2 16V hatchback
16,930 Posts
Like the basic truck, and the interior... not a fan of that hi-top nonsense... can't stand Discos for that reason.....

At least it may look similar to a Disco but it'll outlast and outperform one (off-road).. and it's got more space inside too. . . :up:

How much you give for it?

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mega-battle barge Mk.1 Isuzu Trooper

More pictures due to thread merge :D

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As you can see it is similar shaped to the Discovery. Thats because it sports the high-roof modification that was only available in the Japanese market. It in effect gives about an extra 7" height of load space which giving the overall shape means that you can carry absolutely tons of stuff. The 2.8 is as ever a gutsy motor and can pull anything without missing a beat. Combined with manually locking front hubs and LSD she copes admiralby in the sticky stuff as well.

Now everything wasn't all sweetness and light with her. She had a really nasty screeching sound that seemed to come and go with the revs. I first off assumed it was the fan belt so went about replacing it. Not a difficult job to be honest but alas to my dismay the noise was still there. Just as well I did it however as the old one was definatly getting tired.

Not long after that I was driving to a friends house and she lost all power and filled the road with smoke. Limped her back home and parked up for the night. The next day I went out to have a look at it was quite obvious that the turbo had blown. Curses. Anyways not one to give up easily I went about replacing it. Fotunatly I had a spare turbo and exhaust manifold in the garage from a crazy project involving a 2.0 cavalier that never got off the ground. Pulled everything apart and gave the bay a thorough clean while at it. Ordered a new gasket from Milners and put everything back together again. Even replaced the two missing bolts that were meant to be holding the exhaust manifold on. Big blast of white smoke and oil out of the exhaust and she quickly settled down and ticked over nicely. I even resolved the screeching noise. Only downside at the time was the old exhaust manifold didn't have provision for the EGR valve pipe that goes over the rcker cover, but I just blanked them off as everyone else does. After a while the smoke and oil disappeared and she ticked over a treat.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Next on the agenda was to sort out a few wiring issues. First off as it was an import it wasn't fitted with rear fog lights as standard, and the aftermarket one didn't work. Poked around under the dash and cleaned everything up. Then cleaned out the terminals in the light and we went from :

To:

Winner!

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now the front bumper was looking very sorry for itself. Rust was all over it, and someone had thought that a coat of green Hammerite would solve the issue. The front grill was also badly faded and needed looking at as well.

Gave everything a good cleanup and started with stripping old paint off and then painting it back up again.

All in all a good finish for an amateur using leftover rattle cans from the garage :D

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stereo stopped working. Might of found the cause:

I hate these connector blocks. They always ruin the wires and have a nasty habit of becoming disconnected. Anyways got out the soldering iron and went to work.

Prblem solved. Now I can get back to listening to Metallica S&M without it shorting out.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now I had blanked the EGR valves off but still had all the vacuum hoses and solenoids hanging around. Looked a bit daunting to say the least but had read on here that they can all be ripped out. Asked a few questions and got some great answers from some great chaps and went to work.

Before:

After:

The remains:

After a couple of weeks she drives better than ever. Obviously the EGR valves were coking everything up and causing it to be sluggish. She belted out loads of smoke and was a little lumpy when cold. Now she starts on the button, Little puff of smoke on startup, but pulls like a trian and runs so much smoother.

Another thing to remember is that this can be done with any 2.8 Frontera as well. Takes about 10 mins from beginning to end and the differences are amazing. Recently put it in for an MOT test and she flew through the emissions test. Not bad for a 20 year old mill.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Decieded to get some new boots ... well new to me that is and a play in some mud at an evet I do site work for. This is the result:

255/65 R16's ... much better than the skinny bald 205/80 R16's that were on there.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Last thing I have done is the rear brakes for the MOT. Failed first time round and on closer inspection its no surprise why :

Stripped both sides down and completely refurbished them including loads of copperslip. Now looks like this:

Stops on a Dime as they say. Also had a commendation from the MOT tester saying that he wished everyone would take that much attention to their brakes.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Those 2 Solenids blue/grey in the middle of the photo of the EGR pipes etc look vey much like the Axle solenoids on the SOTF models. Be worth askling on the ITOC if they are the same might be worth a few quid.. Well over £100 from Isuzu IRC.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Those 2 Solenids blue/grey in the middle of the photo of the EGR pipes etc look vey much like the Axle solenoids on the SOTF models. Be worth askling on the ITOC if they are the same might be worth a few quid.. Well over £100 from Isuzu IRC.
Might pop over to ITOC and see if anyone wants them solenoids. I have no use for them now.

Cheers Lads she is a beast, and has lots of niggly issues, but is slowly getting there.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.