Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently have Factory Fitted Speakers in Astra.
Wanting to replace these with some new speakers.
Not very familiar with this so help appreciated.
Replacing 2 speakers in front doors at bottom
Replacing 2 speakers in top of front doors (Are these Tweeters?)
replacing 2 speakers in back on either side, but not attached to Parcel Shelf.
looking to spend about £50
Do not need an amplifier or subwoofer, just need to replace the speakers.
If i get 3 way speakers to replace the front door speakers do i need to replace the tweeters as well.
What Speakers do I need for the rear
What spakers would you recommended
Do I need an adaptor for the front and Back speakers or can i just remove the Factory speakers and replace them with the new ones
Car radio states 4 x 25w (So would assume 100w total output)
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
30 Posts
'97 - Mk3?

Have done the same myself on this one -

Fitted some components in front - best to first get an adaptor ring (any car store like i got mine from halfords) and get one for some 5.25"(13cm) size woofers - the 6.5s(17cm) can interfere with window mechanism due to their depth.

Once you've got your door cards off (can't access very much from the speaker grill removed) You'll need to snip the plug off the wire in (from head unit) for the woofer and strip it to connect to your new one (whether you go with a co-ax(3 or 2-way, tweeter mounted on woofer) or components (woofer & tweeter separate, like in the car now).
On my infinity components, the speaker surround goes right to the edge and I found this was interfering with the cardboard in the door build inside, and gave a nasty little noise on some bass - but that was easily sorted by sanding back the cardboard by about 1mm or so.
Hence why I'd personally recommend not using 17cm speakers, as the adaptor ring brings it out towards door card.

Access the tweeter by removing (just pops out but be careful) the triangular piece of ABS at the top front part of the door (base of the a-pillar) - it's connected to this on a slider. if you're going for just a co-ax speaker in the lower part of the door, I'd recommend leaving the tweeter here to be honest - it improves the sound image, means you can hear more stuff when driving!!
i had to cut holes in the ABS triangles to fit infinity tweeters, and managed to cram the tweeter mount inside the slider for the old tweeter. then wired up the new tweeter itself, and then other end of the wire into the crossover, which is on the outside in the door pocket now.
Just make sure if you have a crossover to mark up which wire's the power in, which is for the woofer, and which for the tweeter (note the +ve and -ve's too!) because when you get the door card back on, you may find yourself with 6 wire ends all looking the same!!

The rear speakers (5.25" - 13cm) are an easy change of four screws, and snip the plug off to connect the wires directly to the new ones (which the new ones will fit right in) - would recommend crimping on some spade connectors, and same goes for the fronts.
I'd say get some co-ax(3-way or really 2-way wud be suffice) 13cm's for the back, you wouldn't need separate tweeters.

Alpine make some nice sounding good value co-ax's if you're looking to spend less than £50. Not sure if you could find 2 sets for this price though...but check around, always plenty of deals.

Hope this helps :Cool2:

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you spend £50 on all four speakers, you will be replacing originals with inferior quality speakers!

You cannot fit 17cm speakers in 13cm adaptors.
The 17cm adaptors should fit. It's the depth of speaker magnet which is important.

Read this before you do anything.

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co.uk/showthread.php?t=94168

If you want to make a really big difference to the sound, consider adding a small amp/sub combo.

·
aka wallop
945 Posts
Currently have Factory Fitted Speakers in Astra.
Wanting to replace these with some new speakers.
Not very familiar with this so help appreciated.
Replacing 2 speakers in front doors at bottom
Replacing 2 speakers in top of front doors (Are these Tweeters?)
replacing 2 speakers in back on either side, but not attached to Parcel Shelf.
looking to spend about £50
Do not need an amplifier or subwoofer, just need to replace the speakers.
If i get 3 way speakers to replace the front door speakers do i need to replace the tweeters as well.
What Speakers do I need for the rear
What spakers would you recommended
Do I need an adaptor for the front and Back speakers or can i just remove the Factory speakers and replace them with the new ones
Car radio states 4 x 25w (So would assume 100w total output)
Thanks in advance
the only time you should need to replace orig speakers in any car is if,
a, they are damaged.
b, you are fitting a high powered amp, and you require higher output

would advise you listen to MR HILPER mate.

unfortunately your budget of £50 would struggle to get you a set of replacement front components, however that same £50 spent on a used 2 or 4 channel amp would make a vast difference.:Cool2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry if I wasn't clear at first - obviously 17's wont fit in 13's adaptors. as I said, if you chose a 17 (with respective adaptor) you'd find some interference with the window mechanism. Also the speaker surround would most likefully meet the cardboard of the inside of the door card, a bit too much - on the 13s I have you can't really sand down any further, or you're going into the upholstery.

You May find an slimline adaptor with some ultra slimline 17s though?? It might help.

Good call on the upgrading by CDX...those factory fitted ones may be paper but they work well. Until you connect a 4 x 80W RMS amp around the car :D

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Still don't understand why Astra adaptors, readily available from Halfords won't fit in an Astra! They are the same depth as the original speaker assembly.

However, you can use 'Custom fit' replacement speakers which should fit better as they have smaller magnets.

You can make your own adaptor rings from 10mm or 20mm MDF. They are actually better than plastic adaptors.

It's important to measure the depth from the back of the inner door skin to the wound down window. It should be around 50-60mm, which is enough for many speakers.

Edit. And remember to allow clearance for the window glass when sound deadening the door!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Maybe I wasn't too clear again - the adaptors fit themselves, but as the speaker is rather large (a 17cm) and sits on top of the adaptor (whereas OEM fit inset into their housing) it interferes with the door. I think my 13cm's are tight enough, 17 would need some serious door card mods.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.