Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I just thought i would introduce myself, I joined about a week ago as im now an Omega owner and im real chuffed i found this site as its a real gold mine of information

I bought my 1st Omega two weeks ago, its a 1995 2.5 GLS auto, its done 41k, 1 owner with full history, owner kept it garaged as it was his toy, he only drove the car in summer on dry days and didnt worry about penny pinching, its had 3 cam belts and tensioners, 3rd just done, along with recent engine/gearbox oil changes, springs, shocks, wishbones, discs, pads, middle/rear exhaust, battery, alternator, undersealed, fancy 17" alloys which still look new, recent new tyres with spare alloy and tyre which have never even touched the road, immaculate bodywork/interior and it drives real nice, short tax and short mot, guy was selling as he now has new toy a merc 500 convertable, i paid £1500 and considered it worth every penny, just a shame theres no cruise or air conditioning tho

Im waiting on my haynes manual being delivered so i can start fiddling/learning about these beasts

I do have a problem though, which is when its started from cold it wont change out of 1st gear for about the first 45 seconds, ive not tried selecting different gears yet or playing with sports mode during these first 45 seconds too see if it makes any difference and the most rpm ive dare gave it is 3000 and it still didnt change until after this 45 seconds?

After this 45 seconds, it changes fine through all gears, it does 2nd at 10mph, 3rd at 20mph and 4th at 30mph and at 50mph it locks down fine

Any ideas what this could be? as im kind of wondering whats happening after 45 seconds, im looking to check gearbox oil in next few days, maybe even change it to be sure all is well, what im unsure of is exactly where the fill plug is and whether its easy to reach, undue and get your pinky finger in to check level/condition with the car sitting normally or do i have to raise the car?

I gave it a bit of a test on the first day, when i floored it from a standstill in sport mode and red lined it, i think i got up to about 80-90mph in 3rd before slowing as it was on quite country lanes where i live, since then i have been driving as light footed as you could possibly do, not been held up in traffic, just quite local country lane stuff caressing throttle enjoying my ride and have worked out im getting no more than 26mpg, i was hoping i would of made 30mpg as im driving like a nun, does this sound about right? it wasnt a scientific test of full tank and refill, its just judging when im back at middle of red reserve, but i think its pretty accurate

Enjoying my car and enjoying the forum, great stuff guys and hello to everyone

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello, single figures? bloody hell, i thought my friends range rover 4.6 hse auto was bad, he gets 20 average if he drives like a nun, if he drives normal he gets 16-18, if he drives in a spirited fashion he gets about 12-14, are you sure all is well with your system as i didnt think it would even be possible for a 2.5 v6 to go single figures unless you drive only in 1st

:eek:

·
Premium Member
1,580 Posts
I do have a problem though, which is when its started from cold it wont change out of 1st gear for about the first 45 seconds, ive not tried selecting different gears yet or playing with sports mode during these first 45 seconds too see if it makes any difference and the most rpm ive dare gave it is 3000 and it still didnt change until after this 45 seconds?

After this 45 seconds, it changes fine through all gears, it does 2nd at 10mph, 3rd at 20mph and 4th at 30mph and at 50mph it locks down fine

Any ideas what this could be? as im kind of wondering whats happening after 45 seconds
It is an emmissions tweak to warm the catalyst quickly to ensure it is efficient.......so i have been told, it stops the gearbox changing up, the ice button sorts it out!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Old Red, thanks for that, but a car designed to be stuck in 1st gear for the first 45 seconds of driving wouldnt really be much use as im now finding out and the ice button is for 3rd gear pull aways on slippery surfaces only

·
**VxON Photographer of the year 2008***
4,289 Posts
my cavalier auto is slow to change out of 1st,, not for 45 seconds though, but certainly it takes it a good while to get into 2nd.

i just assumed it was designed that way to give it time to warm up and get the fluid moving around the torque converter well. I also find it will change if you go up to about 3-4000 rpm

Perhaps you just need to renew your autobox fluid? it seems to cure many problems like this

1 - 7 of 7 Posts