Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Just keen to get some opinions on a problem I have...

At the start of August I bought a Zafira Tourer - 15 plate, with 29,500 miles - from a big car supermarket-type place.

Last week I spotted it was leaking oil. It's still under warranty and today they had a look and said the rear main seal needed replacing.

They're happy to do the work which involves taking the gearbox out.

My worries are: is this a bad sign? Should something like this go on a newish car? The warranty expires next month and I'm outside my cooling off period.

Also, it was sold with a service and 12 month MOT. Should this have been picked up?

Any opinions gratefully received.

Cheers,
James

·
Super Moderator
26,628 Posts
If their happy to do the work then there’s nothing to worry about.
Cars can just spring a fault at anytime even at low mileages or even by my experiences on brand new cars.

Reactions: andy_v

·
Registered
69 Posts
Get them to do a full compression and leak off test... Rear mains shouldn't go so soon...

This could be a sign of a worn motor and check if the Motor is the one that came from the factory when new....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

I probably sound naive, but does mileage get wound back??

Is there straight forward way of checking it's the original engine? A serial number or something.?

Thanks again,
James

·
Worn Out Member
6,186 Posts
You could check the engine number against the one it left the factory with but i would need the Reg or VIN to look the original up,
once we know which engine type it is you could check it against the one in the car (but awkward to find sometimes).
The savvy clocker will usually do the rewind just before mot's so you probably won't pick anything up from that,
some but not all store the mileage in modules other than the speedo so that can be used to pick up a discrepancy sometimes

·
Super Moderator
26,628 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I probably sound naive, but does mileage get wound back??

Is there straight forward way of checking it's the original engine? A serial number or something.?

Thanks again,
James
The vehicles are milage corrected before each service & can be also milage corrected before each MOT.
For instance my dad’s neighbour had a Toyota 4x4 pick up with a aftermarket warranty that would become void after 4 years or when the vehicle reached 100,000 miles , it never quite got to that milage due to milage corrections on the last 2 years of warranty.

·
Worn Out Member
6,186 Posts
me too ;):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: awol and andy_v
1 - 13 of 13 Posts