Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, apologies for my complete lack of appropriate techno speak. Ever since they put computers in these cars, I've not tinkered with them.

Anyway, my '02 Zafira had a new exhaust put on it today, and on the way home, the Engine warning light came on. Whilst i could take this back to the garage at some time after the long weekend, I just want to know if there is something simple I can do to reset the warning light ?

Thanks in advance,
Ian

·
Registered
240 Posts
Having a new exhaust fitted should not have affected anything to do with ecu because you dont have to touch anything on the electrics unless someone has messed with the lamda sensor

I reckon its just a coincidence that the light has come on because I've been fitting exhausts for the last 15 years and I've never come across that

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've got the warning light back on in my Astra. Only when idling for a while and with low electrical load. No fan or lights etc, then the idle goes to about 1100rpm and the light goes on.

Only solved a previous problem 2 weeks ago that was a split vacuum hose.

Take the bulb out I say.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What's a Lamda Sensor?

Having a new exhaust fitted should not have affected anything to do with ecu because you dont have to touch anything on the electrics unless someone has messed with the lamda sensor
Where is the Lamda sensor? I only had the Centre and back sections replaced.
Perhaps it is just a coincidence...oh well, back to vauxhall for more £££'s

·
Premium Member
1,739 Posts
Anyway, my '02 Zafira had a new exhaust put on it today, and on the way home, the Engine warning light came on.
Which light?

If the dashboard display is the same as mine then there's two of those naughty lights. An Engine Electronics light and an Exhuast emission light.

If there has been some unscheduled disturbance to the exhaust sensors, then I would've thought it would be the Exhaust emmission light that's illuminated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It was an off-the-shelf exhaust.
As far as I can see in my vehicle manual, there is only one warning light on the engine side of things, and no exhaust warning light.

Called the garage that did the exhaust, they said it happens, and should settle down in a couple of days, and go off. Is that plausible, if it is an exhaust issue?

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
I replaced my back box the other day, and apart from a slight eggy smell (I assume cat+new backbox effect, as it has now gone), I had no problems.

I know theoretically a new exhaust alters the engine characteristics a little for a while due to lack of cack in it, but I doubt the light should come on..

I say rhubarb to "It does happen". If it did, how many would Vaux themselves have seen when building and testing them from new...

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
no reason the light should come on because of a new exhaust,
i would guess they didnt plug the snesor back in (although that should flag up the emissions light not the ECU light, it is still the most likely culprit)

otherwise just get the fault code read and then youll for sure,

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had the almost the exact same thing on my Zafira - the exaust has been replaced by an off the shelf model, and now the car is running fine (better than it has in ages) but the Exhaust emmission light is lit up... However, it didnt come on till the next time the car was started...

Is there an easy way to check the sensor?

·
Banned
131 Posts
normally you have one before the cat and one after the cat, the one before the cat senses the emission out of engine then the second one senses the emissions after the cat if the difference in pressure is too much or not enough the eml light comes on this is why you can only run a sport cat

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.