Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so put a new lump in my primastar and it wont start, reason being its no getting fuel

i can squeeze the little black pump thingy all day and it just wont come thro!

i thought the fuel pump would drag it through but its not, at this point i should add i dont know if the pump actually works as it came with the engine and being honest i was too lazy to put my old 1 which i know works great on!:rolleyes:

i tried to use easy start and it almost fired up but obviously with no fuel it would never have run continuously

if the fuel pump was faulty surely the hand pump would still drag it through?

EDIT its a 1.9

·
Registered
281 Posts
Is there fuel in the tank?

You could be dragging in air of course or the valves in the manual pump aren't seating.

Sometimes its worth having a length of transparent fuel pipe to check.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah got 2 bars of fuel and the filter cup is full, i was gonna fill up a can and pop it in t morrow just to make sure

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So put more fuel in and made no difference, when I squeeze the hand primer I can here a little click coming from here the fuel pump, not sure if this is normal?

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
Did you change the fuel filter when you changed the engine?
If so, take it apart again & check that the seals are correctly fitted.
If that is all ok, try disconnecting the fuel pipe going into the fuel pump, and try pulling fuel through using the primer pump again.

Reactions: john_d

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, tried disconnecting the pipe to the pump and the primer still doesn't pull any fuel through

·
93 Carlton 2.0 Diamond Estate, 06 Vivaro 1.9 CDTi
1,215 Posts
The low pressure pump (on the engine) will not pump air, which is why on this system you have a primer bulb next to the filter, in this primer bulb if a one way valve to allow you to pull the fuel up from the tank.
If the primer bulb is not pumping air & then the fuel, it is faulty, you can get replacements online.
Only when the filter is full (it has a bleed screw on top to release trapped air) will the low pressure side of the pump be able to supply fuel to the high pressure side of the pump and hopefully start.
You probably had this fault before changing the engine but it hadn't presented itself until you introduced air into the system.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK I never changed the filter and that still full of diesel, so if the filter is full would a faulty primer stop it flowing to the pump?

ive seen them online ,does anyone know the size if the ends, looks about 8mm

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So got a new pipe and managed to get fuel to the pump, still won't start and still sounds dry and I'm sure no fuel is being delivered.

If I disconnect the main feed pipe to the fuel rail and put a container under it if the pump is working fuel should come out yes?

I'm using the crank and cam sensor from the old engine as I know they are good and working, is there any other sensor that may stop it from starting?

·
16,186 Posts
Fuel rail pressure sensor if it has one.

Reactions: john_d and DKT1

·
93 Carlton 2.0 Diamond Estate, 06 Vivaro 1.9 CDTi
1,215 Posts
Fuel rail pressure sensor is the most likeliest suspect, especially if the engine has been left out in the rain or the engine has been pressure washed, they are highly prone to water ingress.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So changed the fuel rail (couldn't get the sensor out) and still nothing

I've squeezed until diesel is coming out of the pipe (green clip) and still nothing

I've cranked the engine with this pipe removed and was expecting to see diesel coming out but it didn't, should diesel come from here when the engine is cranking?

I'll try and attach a clip of it turning over

·
16,186 Posts
Sounds to be spinning over quite well to me.

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
Have you checked for any codes on the engine management, as there could be a fault stopping the pump working.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Have you checked for any codes on the engine management, as there could be a fault stopping the pump working.
not yet, it was getting dark and id been at it a few hours, plus i was getting frustrated so walked away before i threw a tantrum :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts