Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask my gearbox seized around a year ago and as the car had 147,000 miles on it thought to change both engine and gear box, this work was done by garage but i didnt inform my insurance or dvla about the change as it was for a like for like replacement (same engine size and valves etc)...

I have heard that this new computerised mot picks up on engine and gearbox numbers is this true and if so what will happen as i have not told anyone about this change as i was told by garage that they wouldnt bother.

What should i do now (its been over a year since i got the change done)

Thanks

Justin

·
Sexy Saloon
1,548 Posts
Eh.. yeah you do, not so much the number but the engine code, if it was like for like it shouldn't be a problem. Just engine nothing to do with gearbox.

·
VXons resident Priest
3,965 Posts
Engine number is not important and the engine code part of it can be overridden.

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
i have never yet checked an engine code for an mot , it can be bypassed & half the time you couldn`t find the engine number anyway as the rust sharp takes it off.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So chances are then i wont have to worry about them finding an different number.

The engine and gearbox where replaced like for like everything the same (apart from number!:rolleyes: )

Why have they incorparated this into the mot now?

Cheers

·
Registered
136 Posts
i heard about this computerised mot what a joke i had a merc a while back it was moted in northen ireland and five days later driving down the m20 about a mile away from junction 7 the f/n/s wheel snapped off at the hub and we ended up stoped right on j7 in the fast lane what happened to actually looking at the car there are just some things a computer can not do

·
member no 88
1,736 Posts
the only difference between the new computerisation mot and old mot is

the certificate is now printed

the actual testing methods are exactly the same,,,,,sounds like you had a dodgy mot or the tester missed the fault

·
Gas Powered
15,285 Posts
now way of foreseeing metal fatigue like that without doing raiography on it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
fair play to ya as i said it came from n ireland and the bloke who got it i could only just about understand him saying hello but i should of known better as he said they plugged the car in ???? and that tested it and on a 91 merc i found it hard to beleave but i wernt prepaired to say anything as i did'nt see it for myself, worse part about it when the car did stop the wheel poped out of the arch and jammed my bloody door so i had to climb out the window not a pleasant experence at 6 pm on a friday evening on the m20

·
member no 88
1,736 Posts
benny4eva said:
fair play to ya as i said it came from n ireland and the bloke who got it i could only just about understand him saying hello but i should of known better as he said they plugged the car in ???? and that tested it and on a 91 merc i found it hard to beleave but i wernt prepaired to say anything as i did'nt see it for myself, worse part about it when the car did stop the wheel poped out of the arch and jammed my bloody door so i had to climb out the window not a pleasant experence at 6 pm on a friday evening on the m20
where did the wheel actully come a drift from?
did the wheel just come slack/wheel bearing collapse/balljoint pop out?????

·
Registered
136 Posts
the wheel nuts were still thru the brake disk and bolted in to the hub that is what was on the wheel when it poped out, the actual friction part of the brake disk was seperatre from it all looked like a frisby, the bolts on the wheel were tight as i had a quick look over it when it came over from ireland i.e wheels were tight oil water , all the suspention was intact once we had a look at it, i will get the pics i took while the motorway was closed can't really see too great (well camera phone over three lanes and the hard shoulder) so you can see how dangerous it was and how lucky we were , feel sorry for the paddy who was asleep on the back seat he woke up to the words "i got no brakes" lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts