Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, im a long time listener, first time caller...

3 weeks ago i bought a Cavalier V6 CDX auto (1995, M reg, Ecotec engine) to replace my ageing Senator Luxobarge as the dear old thing will soon have to be retired from active service due to a structural issue (rust - in fact, its only the interior carpets holding it together).

First, i just have to say: what a fantastic site. Ive been silently exploring this site for about a fortnight now and it is a superb resource, far better than other similar Vauxhall sites, i think.

Ive been searching old posts and exploring the How2 section finding out that all the faults that i have on my recently acquired vessel are actually "normal":

1) Heater only works on speeds 3 and 4.
2) Heater console light gone.
3) Outside temp sensor faulty (DID temp readout displays "---. --")
4) Air con needs a regas (a motor seems to start, revs rise and fall, but the button light does not light up).
5) Engine management light illuminating intermittently with stored fault code 65 - Fuel Tank Vent Valve - voltage Low
6) Bonnet catch severley stiff - requires mole grips on the end of the cable (handle under the dash now snapped off) in order to open it
7) Drivers seat squeaks!

And that i can do things like:

1) Replace the DID with a Fuel computer.
2) Use a VW wiper relay to introduce timed delay on the intermittant wash/wipe (kinky, i like that one a lot!!).
3) Replace heater console bulb with an LED

...just for starters

Ahhh, at last a serious Vauxhall site, instead of an internet school playground for mechanical incompetents who are more bothered about trying to turn their car into a showroom for the Webb Ivory catalogue than spend their weekends as i do: lying on frozen concrete covered in stinking grease because they dont trust anyone else to touch their car.

But anyway...

After assessing and exploring my car, I wondered if you more experienced people would cast your eyes over the following 3 pics and be so kind as to explain what they are all about:

The first is a pic of the front drivers side driveshaft and control arm area. There is a sensor plugged into the lower rear corner of the engine block just above the sump gasket area. Coming out of the same piece of loom is a wire/connection that is just trailing off into mid air. The wire terminates in a single cylindrical female bullet type electrical connection (as far as i can identify). Does anyone know what this is? I wondered if it is related to the Fuel Tank Vent Valve:

Next, we have a piece of rubber pipework that terminates with a plastic Hex cap that either seems to be an adjuster for something or perhaps a protective cover. It is situated in the front right-hand side of the engine bay, to the left of the battery tray and behind the wiring for the radiator fan. I wondered if perhaps this was air con related, perhaps its the point at which regassing is performed?

Finally, i wondered if someone could tell me if indeed my car has the wiring loom for the Fuel computer switch installed. Ive read the relevant sections, but to be honest, im still not sure. I have removed the oval plastic trim that is between the gearshift and electric window switches to reveal the connectors/wiring:

I would be grateful for any replies and information and i offer a thousand and eighty thanks in advance. Heres to lots of adventures together :Cool2: and many exagerrated tales of daring do and what-not. :lmao:

Best Regards

Mark

·
Registered
145 Posts
1st pic - no idea
2nd pic is indeed where the air con is re-gased
and cant really tell from that pic but if you disconnect the wiring plug yuo should see a 2 wiring plugs in the side that runs off under the hand break and 3 plugs on the other side which will receive the Fuel computer switch. looks like it might be there but you can see better than me?:Cool2: i fitted mine yesterday. also the famous yellow plug should be behind the stereo/ DID mine was next to the glove box.

welcome to the site ive only been on here a month or so and learnt what ive just told you in amatter of weeks, lol

·
Premium Member
7,262 Posts
in that 1st picture it looks like the car could possibly be pre - wired for an oil pressure gauge , could be wrong though.

·
member no 638
2,570 Posts
the second pic is one half of the aircon,there is another pipe the same but a bit lower(i think)on the back left hand side of the engine bay

·
6,336 Posts
the 3rd pic is where you'd plug in the control buttons for the fuel comp ... you're actually looking at a pre installed a multi block connector that serves as the hub point for several electrical items ... the principal being the Electric 4way window switch ... you plug them into it ... (into the white side - it's still hidden - facing toward the rear of the car)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies people, thats been of help to me. Also, thanks for the welcome.

Why would this car have been 'pre-wired' for an oil pressure gauge yet not be fitted with one? Was this an optional extra when the car was new? Would that not have come only with a digital dash (which i didnt think was ever an option for Cavaliers?)

I realise i do need to spend more time searching old threads for research purposes regards fitting the fuel computer/wiring etc.

Can anyone else offer more opinions on my questions?

Regards

·
Premium Member
6,156 Posts
1st pic - dont worry about that one - i've got a few like that = take a look under your wheel arch and tell me if there's one like that there too.

Bonnet catch - I had to wd40 the buggery out of mine. It stopped working while I had a SERIOUS oil leak and needed to get under the bonnet to drive anywhere.

·
Sexy Saloon
1,548 Posts
My gls has that connector hanging, i sold a cdx with all the bells and whistles on and had the same thing.(1st pic).

·
Registered
98 Posts
1st pic oil drain / over flow

2nd pic Re gas your air con

3rd pic Where Vauxhall Tech 1 computer goes

Please ask me if you need to know any more answers mate ;)

·
Meep-Meep
2,224 Posts
Hi Mark,

Yes, your car will be wired for a trip computer.

You need to get one (can be found in the for sale section, or e-bay, or a scrapyard if you are lucky) and the switch.
When you have the computer, you will need the memory modulre reprogrammed to mate up to the V6 engine as I believe the signals it sends out would give innacurate readings.

Then you also need to calibrate the tank sensor once it is in your car, using a small resisitor.

Both Mark T's and Ian's websites are an excellent technical resource.

CLICKY !

CLICKY!

Then you will need to find the infamous "yellow plug" . People find them hidden in all sorts of places, from behind the radio, or tucked behind the glovebox.

I would suggest whipping the DID, the radio and the glovebox out. When you take the glovebox out, there is a small door that allows you access to behind the radio area, very usefull I find.

As an alternative to the VW relay, you could fit an Omega wash / wipe stalk with the intermittant delay wheel, AND trip computer buttons.

Again, can be found on hgere (I purchased mine from Mark T), E-bay or a scrap yard. It is important that you get the relay with this too.
I will grab a pic of mine, with a part number and the relay part mubmer too.

Ever thought of Oil pressure / Volt gagues? :cool:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks very much for all the further replies, thats some real professional info and responses from all of you, i really appreciate it. If i was a girl, id offer to demonstrate just how grateful i am...

Seems the wire in pic 1 is commonly found hanging there then.

Spookylee, this sentance of yours has made me go all wibbly at the knees:

"As an alternative to the VW relay, you could fit an Omega wash / wipe stalk with the intermittant delay wheel, AND trip computer buttons."

And thanks for the pics, thats some excellent data

Theres a How2 regarding the VW wiper relay, isnt there? Well, I think its in the How2, altho to be fair ive kind of lost track of where ive seen stuff. As i ive been doing my searching i keep going off on tangents, i really should start making a seperate list/folder in my favourites.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
TurboTastic said:
1st pic oil drain / over flow

2nd pic Re gas your air con

3rd pic Where Vauxhall Tech 1 computer goes

Please ask me if you need to know any more answers mate ;)
3rd pic is not Tech 1 Diagnostic, its the multiblock for electric windows and fuel computer switch/auto electricals etc, etc. Tech 1 diagnostic plug is under the bonnet on a Cavalier, and on the main fuseboard in a MK3 Astra

I had a V6 CDX (briefly) and that wire hanging near the alternator...... my CDX had that as well.

Outside Temperature sensor is in your front bumper. If you look underneath the bumper, passenger side in front of the wheel and look at the bumper surface, you 'should' see a small black rod sticking out.

Pop it out and trace the connector back.

If you can't see it, its either been removed/nicked, or some silly sod has scraped the head off the sensor on a kerb.

Heater speed problem will either be a worn roller switch (the one used to control the speed of heater fan), or more likely the voltage regulator on the heater motor itself. These are prone to breaking down with lots of use. For this you have to go under the wiper scuttle panel and get to the heater, regulator is on the motor.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
jimscavsri16v said:
welcome to the site mate :up:

sorry to hi-jack but how would a VW relay change the intermittant?would u need a differant stalk?
no you don't. There is a way to program the relay to set the delay for whatever you want, simply by plugging the relay in, then there is a set procedure for shifting the stalk in a set way to alter the delay.

Most people just go down the Vectra/Omega stalk way now, because you can have variable settings on the stalk.

·
There is no replacement for displacement
2,175 Posts
Sorry to hijack the tread, but how would I go about making the trip computer buttons on an Omega stalk work with the trip computer on my Cav? Do I somehow need to run wires from the stalk to the centre console?

Also, Spookylee, is the relay in your photo the one for variable intermittance on the wipers?

Cheers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts