Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

For no reasons, my gauges are not working on the dashboard. You can hear the RPM one ticking really fast when driving, but stays on 0.

Sometimes they eventually all get back in position and work until I stop the car again. When I do stop, you can hear the ticking noise from the RPM gauge, and eventually stops after a few seconds when the key is pulled out.

I thought of a dodgy battery, so I charged it up all night and the problem happened as soon as I plugged the charged battery again.

I'm fairly confident on DIY and I know how to take the dashboard out but I firmly applied pressure on the dashboard housing : nothing.

Thanks for your input on this matter. The car runs absolutely fine otherwise.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is back so nothing I have done so far seems to have fixed the problem
On a perfectly running Astra : No dials (Temp, Rev, Speed & Fuel Gauge, rest is FINE)
  • Recharged the battery
  • Cleaned all the pins behind the dashboard, on the white multiplug with isopropyl alcool
  • Checked for the battery terminals, nice and clean
  • Off side shocks mounting earth connection is spotless
Could somebody help ?
Thanks !

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Run a Delphi Diag on it : No fault codes in Engine or instrumentations.

Battery was @12,3 Volts, ignition on (did not drive it for 3 hours) that is bad right ? 14,5V when running on idle, so I guess the alternator is OK
If it was a bettery problem, when I charged it all night so it should have worked the morning... but did not.

Thanks for helping me

·
Super Moderator
25,096 Posts
Fault within the actual instrument panel cluster ? Do the gauges start to work when the cars warm etc .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi and thanks for helping, I appreciate. No faults in cluster (not even memory ones), the dials works after driving a while.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes and no, most of the time they eventually work after 10 to 20 minutes but no always. When it does not work, the rev counter ticks fast really loudly.

Got any idea at the back of your head ? Could this be a dying battery ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.