Vauxhall Owners Network Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much debating about getting one of those Chinese Astra H/Zafira B head units, I decided instead to get a normal double-DIN head unit and the bits to go with it. There are plenty of tips on how to install double-DIN head units on the Astra H but I've seen few for the Zafira B. So, I thought I'd write up this thread to detail my experiences in a bid to help other Zafira B owners.

I bought myself a Kenwood DDX4016DAB double-DIN head unit as I wanted something that offered Bluetooth, DAB radio, rear camera input and CD/DVD playback.

The kit I bought to make everything work is as follows:

- Connects2 CT23VX39 double-DIN fascia with surround and cage
- Connects2 CTSVX002.2 steering wheel control interface (you don't need a separate Quadlock adapter)
- Connects2 CT27AA14 Fakra to DIN antenna adapter (for FM radio)
- Connects2 CT27AA111 male Fakra to SMB female antenna adapter (for DAB radio)

When you get the steering wheel control interface, make sure you get one with the correct head unit 'patch lead'.

How does the DAB radio reception work?

When I pulled out the old CD30 head unit I noticed there were two Fakra aerial leads. The first is a blue one that was connected to the CD30. There was also a white one that wasn't connected to anything. After some quick testing, I concluded that both leads go to the roof aerial.

I don't think all Zafira Bs offer two aerial connections. Some investigation has led me to believe that only the ones with this kind of aerial base do:

So if you've got an aerial that's the other round type, you're probably out of luck.

The good news with using the spare aerial lead is you don't have to install a separate DAB aerial on your windscreen! :)

Head unit installation tips

Unlike the Astra H, there is little space behind the head unit on the Zafira B! When you've got loads of chunky adapters and wires going to/from your head unit, this can cause a bit of a problem as you might expect.

I managed to tuck in the Quadlock connector to the right-hand (driver's side) behind the head unit. For the rest of the stuff, you can tuck it in behind the plastic support. You can also cut off the plastic bracket behind where the head unit goes. Here's a picture to illustrate what I mean:

It does take some time and a few goes to have the wiring in the right places as you slide the head unit back into position. I won't lie - it's a pain in the arse!

I will update this thread to include a photo of the finished installation a little later so you can see the end result.

Hopefully some of you will find this thread useful. Thanks for checking it out. :)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a couple of pics of the fascia I mentioned earlier, as the product images on the Connects2 website aren't that great:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts